Friday, April 28, 2017

Movie Review: Guardians of the Galaxy Part 2

Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 2 - Four Stars

Okay, action is not my genre, but strangely, I can do the odd bit of Marvel. Yes, I'm hooked.

See, I am Groot..

A bit like Deadpool, I can do these strange, fun, featherweight action movies. They're fun. Take  out the brain at the car park and go and go enjoy them for what they are films.

I am Groot.

So, when my Punjabi kid brother (and everbody needs a Punjabi kid brother) said lets do Tight Arse Tuesday movie night and I asked if he wanted to see this, he was thrilled. After all, it's a movie you'd take your kid brother aged 12 or over to quite happily.) First of all, I needed to catch up on Guardians of the Galaxy  - the first part. A little bit of downloading and I hit pay dirt. What a great film!

I am Groot.

Guardians of the Galaxy Volume Two takes off a couple of months after the end of the first movie. Peter Quill / Starlord (Chris Pratt), Gamora (Zoe Saldana), Drax (Dave Bautista), Rocket (Bradley Cooper) and Baby Groot (Vin Diesel) continue their adventures out in space, where Peter's parentage is explored.

I am Groot.

There are plenty of explosions and fights for the boys to enjoy (and the girls too). The CGI and special effects are fantastic. The script is tight and funny, even if it lacks the 'road movie' feel of the first movie.

I am Groot.

The soundtrack is equally as awesome as the first movie as it is based around the Awesome Mix Tape #2 - and as a child of the seventies, I loved every minute of the music.

I am Groot.

This is a silly, funny, action-packed movie. The characters are lovable as they are flawed. Baby Groot is one of the highlights. There are also cameos from some pretty famous actors, including Sylvester Stallone, Kurt Russell, Elizabeth Debicki and Glenn Close, among others.

I am Groot.

As somebody who is quite averse to violence, I sat through this with a smile on my face and a level of comfort that  the violence is what I call "Bang-bang you're dead" violence and thankfully nothing too malicious (says she who got freaked out over last night's episode of Law and Order: SVU).

I am Groot.

I think Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2 is my new happy place movie. There are purists who say that you have to know about the Infinity Stones. I don't think so. If you're looking for two hours of fun an entertainment, not requiring a brain that is very funny in places, this is your film. It delivers.

Also, Baby Groot steals the show.

I am Groot.


Oh and I have to put this here too: Ouga chaka, ouga ouga ouga chaka... bet you're singing this for the next two days.


No comments: