Sunday, February 19, 2023

Sunday Stealing: The Birthday Meme

 I'm just home from a lovely barbeque at Blarney and Barney's place with Norty and her parents. Aging parents are an intersting fact of life. It was great having them about. They're a good laugh. 

Talking of parents, I had a quick chat to my mother while I was there. She told me she's found all of her diaries of her time when she lived in Saudi Arabia in the 1980s for a year working as a nurse in an American Eye Hospital. One of her friends has convinced her to ask me to turn these artefacts into a book. I'm a bit gobsmacked over this one. And what would it be like to convert your mother's life into a book. Is it creative non-fiction (a genre I actually love writing) Or does it get fictionalised? or does she just want a straight tidying up of the material, and a translation. There are some big questions in there. 

Anyway, on with this week's questions, supplied as always, by Bev at Sunday Stealing (Happy birthday, Bev, by the way.)

1. What is the best thing about your birthday?

My birthday? You mean the week-long festival of me? I like that some people make a little fuss over me. It's nice they remember me. In Australia it's at the end of Winter. 

2. What is your favorite thing to do for your birthday?

Something fun. I went to Bali and had a joint party with Alice for my 50th birthday. For my 45th, we all went on Puffing Billy, a local steam train. That was great too. As this year is a semi-big birthday, will have to have a think. 

3. What’s one thing you learned in the past year?

I've learned a few things:

  • Internet dating is okay as long as you keep your boundaries solid. 
  • Born out is awful
  • Having nothing to do at work is okay for a little while, but not for the long term
  • There is an arrow on your dashboard, under the speedo, which shows you what side the petrol cap can be found. 
  • Red pandas put up their hands to make themselves scary to opponents. 

4. What do you wish for in the next year?

Happiness, stability, love, good health, and enough of everything I need. 

This last bit comes from a Paulo Coehlo. I love the sentiment of this. 

"Recently I overheard a father and daughter in their last moments together at the airport. They had announced the departure.

Standing near the security gate, they hugged and the father said, ‘I love you, and I wish you enough.’

They kissed and the daughter left. The father walked over to the window where I was seated. I tried not to intrude on his privacy, but I could not refrain from asking:

‘When you were saying good-bye, I heard you say, ‘I wish you enough.’ May I ask what that means?’

He began to smile. ‘That’s a wish that has been handed down from other generations. My parents used to say it to everyone.’

He paused a moment and looked up as if trying to remember it in detail, and he smiled even more.

‘When we said, ‘I wish you enough,’ we were wanting the other person to have a life filled with just enough good things to sustain them.’

Then turning toward me, he shared the following as if he were reciting it from memory.

I wish you enough sun to keep your attitude bright no matter how gray the day may appear.

I wish you enough rain to appreciate the sun even more..

I wish you enough happiness to keep your spirit alive and everlasting.

I wish you enough pain so that even the smallest of joys in life may appear bigger.

I wish you enough gain to satisfy your wanting…

I wish you enough loss to appreciate all that you possess.

I wish you enough hellos to get you through the final good- bye."

Good, eh!

5. What’s the best thing about turning a year older?

Not much. I'm going up a judgmental bracket on a form this year. Not happy about this. 

6. What was the most fun thing you did in the last year?

I started travelling again. And I went to see The Pixies twice. And I went on two writer's retreats. And I did some painting classes. These were all fun. Okay, not as fun as being set into a pen full of golden retriever puppies, but it's a start. 

7. If you could understand any animal, which would it be?

My cat. I love the passive-aggressive prick, but I'd love to know what he's thinking half the time. 

8. What is something that used to be hard, but is now easy?

Saying no. I've got a lot better at this. 

9. If you could only keep one thing in your room, what would it be?

What room. That could be a very loaded question. 

10. Which person makes you laugh the most? Why?

One of my colleagues is a bugger for Dad jokes. I roll my eyes a lot, but I giggle on the inside. 

11. If you could go back in time, when and where would you go?

I would love to do London in the 90's again, knowing everything I know now. I'd be doing it very differently. 

12. If you were to bury a secret treasure, where would you bury it?

It wouldn't be a secret then, so I'm not telling you. 

13. What is your favorite memory?

Being able to spend time in the Edward the Confessor chapel, on my own, in Westminster Abbey, for about an hour. It's a terribly spiritual place. 

14. How have you helped others lately?

I help others in all sorts of ways. I'm currently doing some mentoring with one of my colleagues. And after yesterday's Sound Session, I'm going to pass over to my friend a few tips on space management. Next weekend I'm taking Blarney and Barney's boys to the movies while their parents go out. I like being useful. 

15. If you had to repeat a day over & over, how you'd want it to go?

Quietly, smoothly, with lots of fun and laughter. 

Today's song: 



4 comments:

Donna. W said...

I thought the same as you about #9. Finally chose something I can, and have, carried around to any room.

**Syl said...

I enjoyed reading this.
It's a long time ago I was in the chapel, but I still remember how impressive the feel was there.

The wish is wonderful!

Thanks for sharing.

Roger Owen Green said...

I LOVE the "enough" story!

Allstarme79 said...

I totally agree with nothing to do at work is ok for a little while. My job is like that - busy then not. Luckily I have some side jobs that fill in the time.