Saturday, May 6, 2023

Sunday Stealing: Songs

 It's Coronation Night, and because of this I've got the telecast playing in the background. King Charles is our Head of State, rightly or wrongly (I blame John Howard for this. We might be a republic if it wasn't for his arsing around. ). The British do pomp and circumstance very well - although I doubt I'm going to have to wait another lifetime to see another coronation. At 74, we'll be lucky to get 20 years out of him. 

A pot of pumpkin, sweet potato and chick pea soup is cooking on the stove. Yes, Americans. Pumpkin and sweet potatoes make a decent savoury dish. And to the Brits reading this, no, pumpkin is not just food for pigs. 

Anyway, on with the questions, brought to you by Bev at Sunday Stealing

1. A song with a food name.

Peaches, by The Presidents of the United States. This is a great song to sing badly. 


This is not to be confused with the artist, Peaches song F*ck the Pain Away - which I like a lot too. But that is not about food. 

2.  A song with an animal in it

Little Lion Man by Mumford and sons. I love this song. It reminds me of a friend who's learning the banjo. But it's just a great song. 

3.  A song about a bird

Blackbird by The Beatles. Is there any better Beatles song? This is up there. Off the White Album. 

4.  A song about a dog

Black Dog by Led Zeppelin.  Not that this is about a dog, but it has the word Dog in the title. 


5. A song mentioning a cat.

There are far too many songs mentioning cats, but I love this one by Elton John. I mean, what do they mean about a Honky Cat? Does it smell?

6. A song listing a character from Wizard of Oz.

Oh, a hard one. But we have this song about a Lion... which gets stuck in your head. You can thank me later. Wimohweh...  No self-respecting lion would sleep through this. 

7. A late night driving song. 

If I'm driving late at night I try and listen to something a bit edgy and loud with a beat. Something I can sing along to.  The Pixies are great or late night drives, as are The Pogues and AC/DC. And remember, Shane McGowan is still alive somehow. Must have the same genes as Keith Richards from The Rolling Stones. 

8.  A song from a movie

I watched The Breakfast Club a few weeks ago. You can't hear this song without thinking about the film. This was a hard choice for me. I could have put the whole of the soundtrack to Grosse Point Blank in here. Love both of these films. (Simple Minds, Don't You Forget About Me).

9. A guilty pleasure song

Please don't tell anybody I love this song. Love, love, love it. I have fond memories of rolling into Apollo Bay in a convertible with this blaring over the radio. (The Blood Hound Gang - The Discovery Channel Song).

10. A song about friends

There's so many songs about friends to choose from. But I like this one. (Bill Withers, Lean on Me)

11. A song that is about summertime

This song might not be about summer per se, but if I think of a song about Summer, this is it. It reminds me of the beach, playing beach cricket and swimming at Silver Sands beach. It's a very Australian song.  (Dragon, April Sun in Cuba).

12. A song that needs to be played more on the radio

We have a radio station at our local Coles Supermarket, which plays all sorts of amazing songs while you do your shopping. You often see people singing along. I would love to hear this over Coles Radio. It would be funny. IYKYK.  Here's a link to the Wikipedia page. Look at the section marked "Call and Response. You are Australian if you do not do this, they might take your passport away. It's in our genes. Here's a link to what happens live. Any self-respecting Australian has to sing the call and response. As I said, it's genetic. (The Angels, Am I Ever Going to See Your Face Again).

13.  A song about drugs or alcohol

This is my ringtone. Not many people know that this is about Anthony Keidis' struggles. (Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Under the Bridge).

14. A song you would sing at karaoke

I don't think I'd ever sing karaoke again, but I'd probably do something like this - because it's short. And nobody knows the lyrics anyway. :)  (Blur, Song 2)

15. A song from year you were born in

I never knew this came out in 1968 - well the original did. Gotta love her. (Aretha Franklin, Think)

Today's song: 

5 comments:

Bev Sykes said...

Wow. Like with Plastic Mancunian, I didn't recognize any of your songs!

Roger Owen Green said...

I have Beatles and Elton John, but different songs in different categories!

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Pand,

Equally good choices there.

I've not heard Peaches for years.

It seems weird that Charlie-boy is your Head of State too. I don't really want him to be ours (and I'm not alone in that belief in the UK).

:o)

Cheers

PM

Kwizgiver said...

What an eclectic list! So much fun listening to other players' music choices.

Annie said...

I completely forgot about The Lion Sleeps Tonight and Honky Cat! I liked both of those a lot.