Tuesday, July 23, 2013

An Attitude of Gratitude

I'm looking around me and Im seeing a hell of a lot to be thankful for. As my team at work has been rocked with illness and injury, as friends are going through some major life upheavals, and the world appears to be going to hell in a handcart, I'm chosing to look at the positive.

Call me Pollyanna.

Call me delusional.

I'm chosing the happy road - and for this I am truly grateful.

Some of this is my belief in the fact that if you put out good things, good things will come back - the old law of attraction. Yes I am aware that this may not be the case for the starving in third world countries and that indeed, crap happens to the best of us - but for the most part, going into something feeling positive and looking forward fearlessly gets you further than if you're sitting around moping and moaning.

So, here are my things that I'm truly grateful for.

1) I'm fit

Racing around at the gym with Slap last night, working out hard to The Pixies' Doolittle album I think life was about as perfect as it can get. There is something very wonderful about smacking a bag about to Wave of Mutilation. The fact that I'm a month off my 45th birthday and can race around like a loon - a reason to be gratetful.

2) I have great friends

What is life without friends. I'm lucky, I have good ones - and I thank the universe for having great friends every day. They are my family.

3) My parents are healthy

After watching a friend go through what I equate to be the ninth level of purgatory with a father in critical care on the anniversary of the death of her mother - I am very, very thankful that my parents are strong and healthy and long that remain. Mum's knee replacement went well - two weeks on and she's getting around with a stick.

4) I get a cat every so often

I rent my home and it clearly states that I cannot have pets. However, that doesn't stop me borrowing pets now and then. I love being a cat sitter. Even more, I love that the cats that come to stay appear to enjoy staying with me. I'd go nuts without my cat time. And before you ask - I travel too much to have a cat of my own - not fair on the beastie. Yet having a cat some stay for a few days here and there makes everything so much nicer.

5) Skinny ankles, Good skin

I'm grateful I got the skinny legs off my mother - boots fit above the calves. I'm grateful I got this sturdy skin that just needs washing and moisturising and is mainly unlined for my age. I've got some dodgy genetic parterns, but this isn't one of them.

6)  I'm solvent and debt free

Okay, I don't own my own home and I want to look at rectifying this soon, but I'm very lucky to be able to pay my rent on time and have money to spare at the end of each week. I work hard, but I'm truly grateful for this. Long may it continue.

7) I get to do the things I like to do regularly

Spending time with friends, going to the gym, watching movies, going to the theatre occasionally, reading, walking, sleeping, travelling... all things I get to do often. Doing things I like keeps me sane.

8) I live in a safe country free from persecution

A lot has been in the papers about new measures around refugees arriving in Australia by boat from Indonesia. I am truly grateful that I life in a country where I am not persecuted. this might change if Tony Abbott comes to power, but I realise how fortunate I am to live in a country where I can live without fear. I can vote, drive, mock the government. I have freedom of speech and travel. As an Australian, all of these things we take for granted. Many, many others can't say the same.

I'm sure there are more, but there are lots of things to be grateful about.

2 comments:

Jackie K said...

You and I were on the same wavelength with our posts this week :)
Must be the wars and the depressing politics that have brought it on.
But you do have a lot to be grateful for indeed - that's a great list.

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Pand,

Very interesting. Just read Jackie's similar post and I think I might earmark this very topic for a future post of mine.

:-)

Cheers

PM