Thank you Sunday Stealing for coming up with a cracker this week. Some of the best questions we've had in ages.
It's been a great weekend for democracy around here. No idea who the Prime Minister will be at the end of the week.m Watching the conservatives provide some of the best dummy spits this side of kindergarten has been wonderful.
1. Would you try a recreation drug if all were legalized?
In the past, many years ago, I tried one or two recreational drugs. Tried once, that was enough.
2. Are you happy that the U.S. Supreme Court once again upheld a woman’s right to abortion?
Hell yes. Coming from a country where abortion is legal (and strictly regulated) I think this is a good thing. What America does with women's rights, particularly in some more conservative states, is horrific. If you don't want women to get pregnant, give them access to decent sex education and contraception. America's demonising of Planned Parenthood makes me shake my head. Stupid, stupid, stupid. The ones who get arrested are the daft people who picket the abortion clinics. Women's bodies, women's rights. White, middle-aged, conservative Christians need a pregnant teenage daughter to mull over and see what they think about it all.
3. Would our country cope any differently with a woman president?
Ours did okay with one. She was better than the last two put together ten times over.
4. Do you believe in the death penalty?
No. Not ever. It was taken off the statute books here in 1972.
5. Do you wish marijuana would be legalized already?
I come from a place where marijuana is decriminalised - if you're doing it at home, not selling it, not growing it for profit, keep your nose clean, not much is done. I wish they'd legalise medical marijuana. It's hopefully not too far away.
6. Do you believe in God?
Yes. Am I a Christian. No. But I'm good with God.
7. How do you feel now that same-sex marriage is legalized?
In Australia, Same sex marriage is still not legislated to my great shame. Stupid politicians. A lot of the far right wing politicians who got dumped last night were the ones blocking it. The sooner it happens the better. Love is love, fair is fair.
8. Do you think it’s wrong that so many Hispanics are moving to the USA?
I'm Australian. Not my business, though I do like multi-culturalism.
9. A 12-year-old girl has a baby… should she keep it?
Umm, I think this is one of those situations where abortion is a good move. It it is not discovered until too late, it would depend on the family, the situation, etc. There are no right and wrongs about this, but at 12 year old girl's body can barely sustain a pregnancy, let alone the psychological fallout from the situation. Case by case, but generally no. Another reason why they should be teaching about safe sex and contraception.
10. Should the alcohol age be lowered to 18?
In Australia, the legal drinking age is 18.
11. Should the wars in the Middle East be called off?
Yes. Let the peacekeepers stay, that's it.
12. Do you believe in spanking your children?
I don't have kids, but I really don't agree with spanking. I think spanking is harder on the parents than children anyway.
13. A mother is declared innocent after murdering her 5 children in a temporary insanity case… what do you think?
That five kids are dead is unfortunate, that the mother got off - she had good lawyers. It's a hard one but the judiciary has to do it's job.I was more incensed by the Stanford Rapist, Brock Turner, for being given six months for raping a drugged woman.
14. Would you want to prosecute someone for burning their country’s flag as a method of protest?
No. it's freedom of speech - and just bloody stupid.
15. It’s between you and a person who is being kept alive (with NO hope) by life support machines… one has to die? Who?
It's Malthus., and survival of the fittest. Let the person with no hope go and die with dignity. No brainer that one. Circle of life, I'm afraid.
16. Are you afraid others will judge you from reading some of your answers?
No. judge away. I think people are allowed to have varying differences of opinion.