Sunday, May 26, 2019

The Book Questions

What a lovely weekend. I'm back from a charity high tea, held for a local charity called Share the Dignity. (www.sharethedignity.com,au) - a charity which helps to get sanitary items to women on the streets or in need of assistance. It's a great cause. I got to catch up with and old workmate and her lovely daughters, which was great too.

Other things I have done this weekend.

  • Gone to the gym
  • Saw Aladdin and Avengers: Endgame
  • Did some cooking
  • Cuddled the cat
  • Had my eyebrows seen to (they needed it)
  • Sorted out my heath insurance.
  • Started to plan trips to India and the United States.


So now onto some great questions, thanks to Bev at Sunday Stealing.


Authors you never get tired of reading

Here are a few:

  • Margaret Atwood
  • JK Rowling
  • Geraldine Brooks
  • Richard Flanagan
  • William Shakespeare

A book you bought for the cover, and discovered it was better than you thought

I recently bought Angie Harper's The Hate You Give. it was excellent. Elizabeth Gilbert's The Signature of All Things had a pretty cover. I adore that book.

A book that made you laugh and cry, and made you depressed

Oh, that would have to go to Gail Honeywell's Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine. Louis de Bernieres Captain Corelli's Mandolin has aspects of this too.

A book that was a pleasant surprise

Slaughterhouse Five. Fantastic book, I see what they are raving about.

A book everyone loves that you don’t

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Terribly written, badly translated violent dribble. The Fifty Shades of Grey books are rubbish too.

A book with a great sidekick that you like more than the hero

I gotta say, I do love Hermione Granger - she is awesome (though I love Harry too)

A book that helped you through a difficult time

There are a few of these.

  • Who Moved My Cheese - by Dr Spencer Johnson
  • The Book Thief by Markus Zuzak
  • The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber
  • A Little Life by Hanya Yahanigara
  • The Secret History and The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt


A book that taught you something valuable

I think Charlotte Wood's The Natural Way of Things taught me interesting ways to maintain the rage. It's remarkable. And Anna Burns' Milkman taught me that through perseverance, you will find diamonds. Oh, put Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale up there too.

A book or series that it took you awhile to get into

Oh, that goes to The Great Gatsby - that took me 25 years to get from cover to cover. I read it a few years ago and appreciated it - wouldn't say loved it, but it was better than the other 15 or so times I started it, got to about page 25, threw it against the wall and picked it up when I cleaned.

A fictional character you’d love to have to dinner.

Oh, can I please have Sugar from The Crimson Petal and the White, along with Briony from Atonement, Antonio Corelli and Pelagia from Captain Corelli's Mandolin, and maybe Willem from A Little Life. That could be interesting.

Today's song:


5 comments:

CountryDew said...

The Signature of All Things was a surprisingly good book. I loved it.

Kwizgiver said...

Oh--I forgot all about A Little Life as a book that was the right book at the right time for me, it was so harrowing yet so beautiful.

Me, Myself, and I said...

I simply adore Hermione. She's a kindred spirit. One of my favorite collectibles is a QFig that my husband bought me--Hermione's first spell. It's a great little figure that makes me happy every time I see it.

Bev Sykes said...

I read "Slaughterhouse Five" when I went through a Vonnegut phase and enjoyed all his books. I agree with you on the "Shades of Gray" books (tho I only read book 1) but I did kind of enjoy the Dragon Tattoo books. I don't know why. Everything about it was something I didn't like, yet I enjoyed the books, tho have no desire to read the ones that are being written now. Book 2 actually was entirely too political and book 3 too bloody.

Annie said...

Hermione is a good character, for sure though I am not a fan of the series.
I have been thinking of reading The Signature of All things. I will give it a try now. Thanks