Sunday, September 15, 2019

The Book Tag Meme

God, I hate being sick. I've been hacking up my lungs for the last two days. Fun.

Thankfully we've got quick, easy questions that won't take up too much energy. I'm over coughing.

Questions from Bev at Sunday Stealing, always.

Who is your favourite author?

It's a toss up between Margaret Atwood, Louis de Bernieres, Richard Flanagan and Salman Rushdie.

What was the last book you read?

Currently reading The Choke by Sofie Laguna for book group. It's very good. Australian fare.

What book reminds you of your school days?

Anything by Randolph Stow and To Kill a Mockingbird. Love to Kill a Mockingbird.

What book releases are you looking forward to?

I've got a copy of Margaret Atwood's The Testaments on my kindle. It came out last week  - it's next on the list.

What movie releases are you looking forward to?

I'm going to take myself off to see Downton Abbey soon - loved the series, the movie should be fun.

What 3 books are you planning to read?

I'm looking at my slush pile in front of me. Some titles from the yet to be read pile are:

  • Becoming by Michelle Obama
  • Overstory by Richard Powers
  • Bridge of Clay by Markus Zuzak
  • Cloudstreet by Tim Winton
  • Unsheltered by Barbara Kingsolver

Have you ever damaged a book?

I have been known to dogear corners. That is as nasty as I get to books. I do try to use bookmarks.

How long does it take you to read a book?

Depends on the size and complexity, but when I get into a book it normally takes about a week.

Books you haven’t finished?

  • Ulysses by James Joyce
  • Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel
  • Moby Dick by Herman Melville
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - thrown against a wall after 30 pages
The first an last books need to be dipped into. Too immersive to do in one sitting.


Popular books you didn’t like?

I'm not a real popular fiction reader - but I could not stand the 50 Shades of Grey books. That and the Twilight books - they were really bad (bar the first one)

Is there a book you wouldn’t tell people you were reading?

No. Reading is reading. It's good for you.

How many books do you own?

Far too many - there's around 1000 peppered around the flat.

Are you a fast or slow reader?

I'm a fairly fast reader.

Do you read better in your head our out loud? 

In my head. Sometimes I have to read things out, but that's to gain a bit more understanding.

Today's song:


4 comments:

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Pand,

I hope you feel better soon. :o(

I know our taste in books is a bit different (you know my views on Shakespeare) but at least we both agree on Twilight.

Oh - and Mrs PM read 50 Shades of Grey (the first one) and said it was the worst thing she has ever read. I cant believe there are FIVE of the bloody things (2 of which are rewrites from the pov of the other person in it). Good grief!!!

:o)

Cheers

PM

Lori said...

Oh that is true. If I am really trying to concentrate...whether it be because it is noisy or I am not following for some reason, I will read out loud for focus. That doesn't happen very often. Loved your answers! Have a nice Sunday!

https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

Kwizgiver said...

Hope you're feeling better soon!

I'm adding some of your titles to my list. Lots of interesting fare.

Bev Sykes said...

And now did you like Downton Abbey. Hasn't opened here yet and I'm going to wait until the crowd thins, but I am looking forward to it.