Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Book Group: The Long List

It's that time again. Book Group book choosing time.

So not only do I have the following things in my plate:

  • The Masons Temple Property Association AGM
  • Pending unemployment which I am calling a sabbatical
  • Christmas
  • Painting out the kitchen while on sabbatical
  • Marie Kondo-ing the flat
  • Going to the gym every day (or an hour of exercise equivalent)
  • Getting gluten, dairy and sugar out of my diet.
  • Selling stuff on Ebay/Facebook Marketplace
I have to find two books to put up for book group on 10 December. This is a hotly decided thing, done with rubber gloves and lollies. It's big. 

Off topic, the sabbatical starts on Friday night. My contract is up. I will look for work over December, but I have no intention of starting anytime before the middle of January. The right job will come along when it presents itself. In the mean time, I'll get my health and sanity back.

It's been a hard year. 

So working out what I'm putting up for book group for next year is just another added stress.

I have to find two books to put up for book group. There is a big challenge in this. This has to be done by next weekend. 

The criteria are as follows:
  • Preferably under 500 pages
  • Easily accessible in bookstores and libraries, online etc. 
  • Fiction only - no non-fiction, autobiography and memoir
  • Decent popular fiction or literary standard. We don't want a repeat of 'That Cat Book'.
I'm looking at my "to read" pile. Here are some of the candidates, with the pro/con list. 

Manhattan Beach by Jennifer Egan

Pro: Fits the criteria. She won the Pulitzer a few years ago for A Visit from the Goon Squad. A decent writer.

Con: That she won the Pulitzer could be seen as a bad thing. 

Bruny by Heather Rose

Pro: Fits the Criteria. Her novel, The Museum of Modern Love was a favourite of mine from last year. Australian writer. It's got a Tasmanian theme. 

Con: Can't think of any.

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood

Pro: It's Margaret Atwood. Fits the criteria. The continuation of The Handmaid's Tale. A great read (I've read this already)

Con: Dystopian fiction may not be everybody's cup of tea. 

All That I Am by Anna Funder.

Pro: Fits the criteria. Australian writer. A few years old. Historical. (I've read this too)

Con: It was put up for book group a few years ago and didn't make the cut. I don't know how this happened. 

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz

Pro: Pulitzer winner. Fits the criteria.Amazing book. Book of the year for me. 

Con: The footnotes and the Spanish are going to piss people right off. I can't help it if I like challenging reads.


The Princess Bride by William Goldman

Pro: A classic. The book that came before the movie. INIGO MONTOYA! Fits the criteria. 

Con: All of the above.


The Overstory by Richard Powers

Pro: Fits criteria, but at 502 pages its on the long side. Booker Longlisted. Environmental theme.

Con: Booker longlisted (we have an interesting relationship with Booker winners in our book group). Allegedly and interesting structure - whatever that means. 


Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders

Pro: Fits the criteria. Booker winner. Stunning writing. 

Con: Ferociously hard read. A Booker Winner. 


The Hate You Give by Angie Harper

Pro: Fits the criteria. Young Adult. Great voice. Topical.

Con: The fact that it's young adult. American. 


An American Marriage by Tayari Jones

Pro: Topical. American. Not too long.

Con: It's about the American Justice system among other things - how sad. 


Unsheltered by Barbara Kingsolver

Pro: Fits the criteria. She wrote The Poisonwood Bible. 

Con: She wrote The Poisonwood Bible. 


The Dutch House by Ann Patchett

Pro: Fits the criteria. About siblings. Not too long. Commonwealth had great writing.

Con: Not everybody's cup of tea. 


I've read some great non-fiction this year - The Erratics by Vickie Leveau-Harvie (memoir - and how I would love to put this up), Three Women by Lisa Taddeo, Any Ordinary Day by Lee Sales and Educated by Tara Westover.  I'm currently reading Clementine Ford's Fight Like a Girl. It's good, but a bit shouty. A great starter book for baby feminists to get them thinking. 

Ah, the decisions. It will probably get made next Sunday night with a gin and tonic in my hand after a Thanksgiving party in the Dandenongs. 

Wish me luck. And when in doubt, watch Christopher Walken dancing.

Today's Song


No comments: