Monday, January 2, 2023

Movie Review: The Lost King

 Movie 1 of 2023

The Movie: The Lost King

The Cinema: Village Cinemas - The Rivoli, Camberwell

Stars: 4

The Lost King was perfect New Year's Day fodder. Just what I needed. An English film. Check. Partly about a topic I love, that being the kings and queens of England. Check. Good cast. Check. And a fix of England. Check. Respite from Melbourne's heatwave. Check. 

What more could I want?

Not much. 

It's quite a simple movie about a woman, Phillipa Langley (Sally Hawkins), who's not having a great time in life. She's separated from her husband John (Steve Coogan), a mum of pre-pubescent boys, her boss is a tosser and she's managing an auto-immune condition. 

After a bit of a brain fart, she packs in her job and looks for something else to do. 

In her case, she joins the Richard the Third Society and embarks on the quest to look for England's most misunderstood king.

I remember when all of this was going on, when "The King in the Carpark" saga was going on - and it was fascinating. (British History is also my thing) So what goes down in the movie may or may not have happened. I do remember that Philippa Langley was a force of nature, raising the funds and being the driving force behind finding the lost King.

That I love Shakespeare's Richard III is only a part of why I liked this film. I love seeing weirdos do good. And Philippa Langley is wonderfully bonkers. 

What is a nice touch is the inclusion of King Richard (Harry Lloyd). First as an actor in Shakespeare's play, then as a ghost like character who follows Philippa around and gives her a sounding board into the man and his character.

I also loved the misfits in the Richard the Third Society, which, I have to say, I'm tempted to join. 

This is a well-paced movie that shows an interesting part of recent history. Did Philippa Langley get thrown under a bus by the university? Maybe. Are there inaccuracies around some of what is show? Possibly. 

Did I enjoy this film? Absolutely! 

As I said, it's the perfect film for history buffs who need to escape the heat. Of course, I'm biased, but it's another one of those films I'd take my mother to. 

Today's song: 

No comments: