Saturday, June 1, 2024

Sunday Stealing on a Saturday NIght

 It's Saturday night and I'm getting ready to go to Darwin once again. So, as is the tradition, I'm going to do a job and do a question to get both things out of the way. I have my house sitter coming just before I go to the airport tomorrow night. 

Questions, as always, come from Bev at Sunday Stealing

1. If you like art, who is your favourite artist and why?

Yes, I love art - I seek out art. I go to art galleries as a regular occurrence. I love that art makes you feel things, though this is not all art. 

As for my favourite artists, I have many, but the one that comes to mind tonight is Francis Bacon. I love the sensitivity and brutality of his paintings. Irish, gay, an alcoholic, an iconoclast, his paintings speak to me. I hunt him out in major galleries. 

Job: The dishes. 

2. If you were able to learn any three skills or talents instantly and with success, what would they be? 

I would love to be able to play the piano - I should look into lessons. 

I'd love to be able to sing better - I can carry a tune, just not that well. 

And I wish I had neat handwriting. I have a doctor's or serial killer's handwriting. It would be good to have better penmanship. 

Job: Scrub down the stovetop. 

3. If you were to live in Ancient Times, where - in what country - would you want to live in?

What do you describe as ancient. I don't think I'd like to live anywhere before the 1500s - even then, it's pretty hairy. At least in the times of say the Tudor court people are somewhat literate. 

Then again, ancient Rome had running water... but then they had Caligula. No thanks. 

Job: Put the dishes away. 

4. What is something you’re embarrassed to admit to liking? Whether it be a guilty pleasure show, or unusual hobby, etc.

Phil Collins. The Channel Nine News (the only way I get in half palatable right wing news). Beans on toast - best quick dinner ever. 

Job: Torment the cat - he was tormented enough, he went from his spot on the bed to his spot on the cushion on the couch. 

5. What is the worst job you’ve ever had?

That would probably be my first proper job. I've had a lot of dodgy jobs, but spending eight hours a day putting price tags on things at a department store at the end of university was not a great thing. 

Job: Set up the ironing board. 

6. What is something that you wanted to do as a child that you would still like to do now?

Learn how to play the piano. I'm quite musical. I used to play the flute. I'd like to think I'd get the hang of it pretty quickly. 

Job: Plug in the iron. 

7. What do you hate being judged for more than anything else?

My size and weight. I've had this all my life. Unfortunately, it's the one thing I wish I didn't judge myself for - years of being judged as a child has made it's mark. 

Job: Pack underwear for Darwin. 

8. What is your life’s mission?

To be happy. It's as simple as that and it is a mission every day.

Job: Iron one item of clothing. 

9. If everyone walked around wearing warning labels, what would yours say?

"Mad, bad and dangerous to know." That is what I was once told I was. 

I think now I'd probably have something like "Sensitive and would like to stay that way." It reads better than, "Gently neurodiverse. Intermittent filter settings. "

Job: Iron something else. 

10. At what age did you first feel like you were an adult?

About 27. I'd been living in London on my own for a few years and had to make some pretty big decision. It was then that I knew I could do this adulting lark. 

Job: Pack cereal for Darwin (so I have something for breakfast ready on Monday morning.)

11. When did you not speak up, but wish you had?

I tend not to make mention of conflicts on my socials - whether that be Palestine or Ukraine or wherever these awful atrocities take place. I don't feel like it's my place to speak out, though many would disagree. I know that the standard you walk past is the standard you accept, but there are some things I'd rather talk about in private. 

Job: Get clothes ready for tomorrow. 

12. What is something that makes your skin crawl?

People who are rude to service staff. And men who wear clothes that got left in the washing machine for too long, then dried them and they smell musty. Ick. 

Job: Put away the clothes horse. 

13. What was the last thing to give you butterflies in your stomach?

Oh, I can't remember. Maybe walking into the first session of the Faber Academy at the offices of Allen and Unwin. That was a strange feeling. 

Job: Iron another piece of clothing. 

14. What's your favorite type of media to work with? (Paint, clay, pens etc.)

They keyboard. I'm a writer - though I enjoy painting even though I'm not good at it. 

Job: Iron another piece of clothing. 

15. What question do you hate answering?

Tell me about your family / love life. I prefer to keep this one mostly under wraps. 

Job: Put away the iron and ironing board. 

Today's song:



   

2 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

From practically, talking about Israel/Gaza has been fraught. There was one college, Sacramento State, where the college president had about four dozen forums. There were protests, but they ended peacefully, without the police being called.

Bev Sykes said...

Thinking about living in a different era, it's nice if you're a MAN, but if you're a woman, you have very little right to do anything you want to do.