I have a masonic job to do tonight.
Writing a piece of architecture.
Eh?
It's mason's talk for a short talk. I won't go into why it's called what it's called, but the Grand Poobah called (not the official name, but The Flintstones made it popular, so I'll use it) and asked if I could string together a five-minute talk about stuffs.
In the past, I've done talk on things like Masonry and Tarot - which happily go hand in glove. I've done talks on conferences I've attended - all sorts of things.
This time around, I'm going to bring in the chat I went to the other night, with Stan Grant talking about his book When Words Fail Us.
I should have known this was going to happen. When something triggers you, it will come back to bite you in Masons.
While I was sitting there listening to Grant, my head was pinging all over the place. Grant has a Doctorate in Theology. He's also a veteran journalist and writer, and activist and all-round deep thinker. His talk the other week was on the philosophies of Simone Weil, communication and silence.
The talk was awesome, but there were a few things that set me off on various paths. Underpinning the talk was Simone Veils philosophies, particularly around life and silence. This is interesting also how both Grant and Veil see silence as a way to truth - not through complicity, but by allowing we in the human condition to actually listen and absorb rather than judge.
Then, my monkey mind starts to think about masonic ritual, and how silence is used there.
Anyway, I'm trying to gather my thoughts as to what I'm going to say on Sunday.
Oh, what fun!
No comments:
Post a Comment