Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Simple Joys

Making my coffee this morning, looking out the kitchen window. It's 6.05 a.m. A full moon is about to set over the top end of the city. The breaking dawn is peaceful, crowned by the majesty of the moon. The only apparent sounds are birdsong and the intermittent hum of the Krups machine dribbling out a triple ristretto.

In half an hour I will be sitting on a half-empty tram reading my wonderful book about running. ("Born to Run" by Christopher McDougall - excellent book about a tribe of ultra-distance running Mexican tribesman)

In an hour's time I'll be hoofing my way along the Yarra and around the Botanical Gardens on my consititutional 7.5 km pre-work run. Today I'm on my own. I'm interested to see what I can do without the posse. Going for 55 minutes. We will see.

Perfect start to the day, really.

(Apologies for being a morning person too)

Px

4 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Mornings are lovely. And I particularly like that period leading up to and covering dawn. Not a runner though.

Pandora Behr said...

Made it round the Tan and back in 54 minutes. Thrilled. Morning got better.

Kath Lockett said...

Oh I hear ya, sister, but went for a run yesterday and just a walk with the doggie today. Have to make the most of it before the streets get too icy to walk on....

Mrs Krups behaving herself? Dude DeLonghi is being a perfect gentleman.

Jackie K said...

Oh I love that time of the morning. I used to be a night owl but these days am definitely a morning person. Love the solitude and peace which your post perfectly evokes.