Saturday, April 6, 2013

A Good Start

I'm writing this from one of the top floors of a swanky hotel in Sydney. The little blutetooth keyboard really does work well with the iPad - and I feel like I'm cooking with gas when it comes to typing. which means I have no excuse not to write while I'm away.

Finally, after all this time in planning, I'm finally on my way.

Also, spurred on by Millie from Hold the Peas, I've made looking out for some great extras to make the holiday even better.

So on arriving a the hotel yesterday afternoon, the Radisson Blu Plaza, booked months ago as a wotif.com special, and being offered an upgrade to one of their business class rooms, I jumped at it. Wine and canapés in the evening, breakfast in the morning, free wi-fi, in room coffee machine. Just a few things to make the night a little bit more comfortable.

Worth it - very much so. It meant not having to go out for dinner, the canapés light, but substantial enough to make a light dinner.

Finally, after not working for a week, it feels like I'm on holiday at last. The racing around of the last few days have abated. The packing is done, the flat is in a good state for my house sitter - not that I really need one, but I'm cutting a friend a break. There is nothing more to do than hop on the train in an hour or so, go to the airport, check in and make my way to the Qantas Club Lounge for some light lunch - again, on the recommendation of Millie.

Yes, it's all a bit decadent. I spent last night drinking a glass of wine in the bath while watching television. I can't think of many other things I rather do on a Friday night. A decent Marlborough Pinot, Dr Blake, a nice deep warm bath. Bliss.



This morning's breakfast exceeded expectations as well. The only downer to the morning was the incessant drone of CNN  with its mildly alarmist news gathering on the North Korea crisis made the smoked salmon, scrambled eggs and toast and marmalade a little distasteful.

Would I stay here again? Absolutely.

Well, I'd better get my bum to the airport, get checked in, find my mother's lipsticks (she's upgrading her Avon classics to MAC), find my gin and maybe a new happy snapper camera, then get my bum to the Qantas Business Class lounge for an hour or so.


I like this decadence thing.  Thank goodness it's all paid for.

Right, best be off. Bali here I come.

3 comments:

Jackie K said...

There's nothing like a top hotel for a night to deeply relax and feel great. I like the sound of the wine and TV while in the bath- I could handle that on a Friday night!

MedicatedMoo said...

It looks and sounds absolutely wonderful. I hope that Bali is just as terrific for you too!

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Pand,

I stayed in the Radisson Blu in Muscat - and will be again next week.

I also enjoyed smoked salmon and scrambled eggs for breakfast.

Great minds think alike, eh?

:-)

Cheers

PM