Sunday, December 3, 2017

A Book Meme

Well, this is apt. I'm sitting here trying to work out what books I'm going to put up for book group this year and we get a blog about books. Yay.

The rules of book group books - and I have to take along two books, preferably under 500 words, fiction, of literary or good quality popular fiction, easily obtainable in  bookshops and libraries. As  the book group coordinator, I have everybody else's book choices, but mine are proving a little elusive.

So what is on my list?

Commonwealth by Ann Patchett
The Ministry of Utmost Happiness by Arundhati Roy
See What I Have Done by Sarah Schmitt
Hagseed by Margaret Atwood
The Buried Giant by Kazou Ishiguro
Everyone Brave is Forgiven by Chris Cleeve.

Well that is the short long list. I have until next Sunday.

Questions, as always, from Bev at Sunday Stealing.


1. Do you prefer hardcover, paperback, or Kindle...and why?

Toss up between paperback and kindle. Both are portable.

2. If I were to own a book shop I would call it ...

The Broken Spine

3. My favorite quote from a book (mention the title) is ...

"I do think that means what you think it means." The Princess Bride.

4. The author (alive or dead) I would love to have lunch with would be ...

Richard Flanagan

5. If I was going to a deserted island and could only bring one book, except for the SAS survival guide, it would be ...

Possibly The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. Or Captain Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernieres.

6. I would love someone to invent a bookish gadget that ...

Would read me two books a day while I could do something else. I'd love that.

7. The smell of an old book reminds me of ....

Happiness.

8. If I could be the lead character in a book (mention the title), it would be....

Hermione Granger in Harry Potter.

9. The most over-rated book of all time is....

Until two years ago I would say, The Great Gatsby, but I love that now. Anna Karenina is up there for me. I really don't like Russian literature.

10. I hate it when a book....

Takes a turn for the worst and it all goes to seed. Or is badly written. Most of Liane Moriarty falls into that category. Or a great idea badly written - aka Dan Brown.

No comments: