Sunday, December 31, 2017

The Year End Hodge Podge meme

I will do the longer, more traditional version of this after this meme.

Questions are supplied by Bev at Sunday Stealing.

1. Where have you found unexpected magic or delight this holiday season? 

I have a cat staying with me. He's wonderful. I also had a lovely time with somebody else's family in Tasmania over Xmas.

2. What's your favorite type of holiday gathering? Will you/have you gathered in your favorite way this month?

None and nothing. Christmas is over rated.

3. Time has named 'The Silence Breakers' (women who came forward with stories of harassment)  'person of the year' for 2017. Would you agree? If not, who do you think deserves the title?

Yes and yes.

4. How did you spend your time this year? Are you happy about that? Elaborate

I did a bit of writing and finished my Masters. I'm very happy about that. Onwards I say.

5. Bid farewell to 2017 in ten words or less.

Thank goodness you're over. he're to a wonderful 2018.

6. Insert your own random thought here.

I think I have a lot in common with Lorelei Gilmore.

Okay and now for the real questions.


1. What did you do in 2017 that you’d never done before?

Finished my master's degree. I went to MONA.


2. Best thing that happened to you was...

Finishing my master's degree and making the great friends I made this year.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

My downstair's neighbours brought in a daughter in September. She's awesome.

4. Did anyone close to you die?

Nobody close to me died, but I've had a lot of death around me. An acquaintance committed suicide, which did hurt a lot. I have a lot of friends who have lost love ones. It's been an honour to be able to stand next to them and be by their side through the process.

5. What countries did you visit?

I haven't used my passport this year. I feel bad about this, but I have a few trips abroad planned in 2018. I did make Tasmania twice - I wonder if this counts.

6. What would you like to have in 2018 that you lacked in 2017?

More laughter and more travel and more sex. I also want to make more time to write.

7. What dates from 2017 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

November 15. I submitted my last Master's assignment.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

I've ended up with one distinction and three high distinctions in my studies. I work hard, but it's nice to see the work pays off.

9. What was your biggest failure?

Losing weight. That didn't happen this year. That changes this year. It has to.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

Other than a bout of flu and having a smalll gynaecological matter sorted, I've been really lucky.

11. What was the best thing you bought?

Two pairs of Birkenstocks. They are so comfortable. That and my Sheridan sheets.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?

The women who have spoken out about sexual abuse. All I can say is #metoo. Samuel Johnson will always be an enigma too.

13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?

Where do I start. Aging man-baby, Donald Trump is simply appalling. Most of the Australian Federal Cabinet could go jump of a cliff and there would be no loss.

14. Where did most of your money go?

Rent, tuition, travel and theatre.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?

The Pop Up Globe in Melbourne. Shakespeare on tap. It's been AWESOME!



16. What song will always remind you of 2016?

I love Tash Sultana's Jungle. Love it.


17. Compared to this time last year, are you: (a) happier or sadder? (b) thinner or fatter? (c) richer or poorer?

a) Happier
b) about the same
c) About the same - though I'm richer in wisdom.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?

Laugh, travel, drink gin, exercised (though for a few months it was hard to do much because of that bloody bruise) and saved money.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?

Eat ice cream and procrastinate about exercise.

20. How will you spend New Year's Eve?

I'm about to go see a film, then I'm off to Alice's place to watch the fireworks from her balcony.

21. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.

With your feet in the air and your head on the ground
Try this trick and spin it, yeah
Your head will collapse
But there's nothing in it
And you'll ask yourself
Where is my mind..  (The Pixies - Where is my Mind?)

22. What was your favorite new TV program?

I was put onto Gogglebox earlier this year. Love the Australian version.

23. What was the rudest thing someone did to you in 2016?

The Federal Government put me through that awful plebishite. That was awful. Not one of Autralia's finer moments, though we do have same sex marriage now, thank goodness. ABOUT FUCKING TIME. I hold the government responsible for this.

24. What was the best book you read?

Hanya Yahanigara's "A Little Life". Running not far behind, Heather Rose's "The Museum of Modern Love" and George Saunder's "Lincoln in the Bardo."

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?

Tash Sultana. See above.

26. What did you want and get?

A job that I love after my long running contract at the bank ended. I am very fortunate. That and the friendship of some wonderful people.

27. What did you want and not get?

An extra hour in the day to write.

28. What was your favorite film of this year?

I saw it yesterday. Amazing. Call Me By Your Name. It's incredible. Runners up - Their Finest, Lion and Logan Lucky for my guilty pleasure. It was also great to see Branagh's Hamlet on 70 mm at the local indy theatre.


29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?

Dinner with friends at a local French restaurant. It was lovely.

30. What one thing made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

Regular trips to Sydney to see a friend. Nuff said there. Doing well at my studies.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2017?

Plain, boring, black.

32. What kept you sane?

Friends, movies, books, writing, exercise - and the odd gin and tonic.

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

Still have a thing for Richard Roxburgh and Craig McLachlan. That doesn't change.

34. What political issue stirred you the most?

I was pretty vocal for the Yes campaign for the same sex marriage plebishite.

35. Who did you miss?

I still miss  Reindert, but we talk often. I still mourne Philip Seymour Hoffman and Alan Rickman too.

36. Who was the best new person you met?

No one person, but I now work with a great mob of people.


1 comment:

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Pand,

I actually really like Jungle - nice catchy tune with great guitar.

:o)

Hope you have a fab 2018.

Cheers

PM