Saturday, October 23, 2021

Appointments

 I'm known for being unfailingly polite and friendly. Call it a quirk or a character flaw, but I go out of my way to be amenable. It smoothes the waters and allows thing to happen easily and naturally. It's just my way of doing things. 

I also like to be curious. In the words of Walt Whitman, as retold by Ted Lasso, "Be curious, not judgemental." I like to try and live that one too. 


Anyway, now things are opening up, people are scrambling to obtain appointments with their hairdressers, barbers, nail techician, beauticians and on and on it goes. 

Well, earlier in the week I sent an email to my massage therapist. It just read, "I NEED A MASSAGE!" that's all. Please remember that I've been a client of this practice for near on fifteen years and I know most of the therapist - they've become friends. 

Ten minutes later I got a phone call back.  My massage therapist is also the manager of the practice and we often have a chat about the world at large. He was telling me that the published rules around massage therapists was particularly grey, and he could see, more than likely, the practice would be reopening around Cup Day. 

Half an hour after that, I received an email. "How does 10.30 on Saturday sound?" 

YES, YES, YES. 

There are a few calls like this going on at the moment. I had a similar reaction when my hairdresser rang ten minutes after Dan Andrews said they would be reopening. She was also ringing clients in the order she had them booked. I was due for a hairline patch up a few days after lockdown started, hence I was one of her first calls. 

Now it's late in the day - I've had a massage and my hair cut - and I feel most wonderful. The greys are now gone and my body is relaxed - and follow up sessions for a massage and a tint of the hairline are booked in. Yay. 

I'm watching some of my friends struggle to get appointments with their required operators- it's been that long since we've all had these necessary services, the beauty and allied health industries are overrun with people needing appointments.

I'm just grateful to have these firm relationships with my hairdresser and massage therapist. I like to think being polite and friendly and a bit curious has helped form these relationships. Well, that's what I tell myself. 

It's nice to feel like things are slowly getting back to normal, though what the new normal will look like is hard to say. 

Today's song: 



No comments: