Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Sunday Stealing on Wednesday

So, it seems the Sunday questions were posted sometime during the American Sunday - and as I am a good Sunday Stealing participant, it would be remiss of me to not do them during this week, especially as they aren't bad questions.

Bev at Sunday Stealing is back in action. 

As I'm trying to write fiction at the moment, it's going to be 100 words of fiction, one question to get my word quota in for the day. 

1. What did you do today?

Today, I worked from the office, had lunch with my engineer friend (Nasi Goreng - yummy) and then came home. Just a normal workday Wednesday. 

2. 5 things about where you live.

Five things about where I live?

  • My kitchen window overlooks a physiotherapy centre / rehabilitation gym and a frozen fish factory. 
  • I have a reading chair in my spare room which I use for reading only and the cat likes to take flying leaps of the back of it.
  • Like most women I have a framed poster of Le Chat Noir - you know the poster. 
  • There is an empty skull shaped vodka bottle filled with fairy lights next to my television. 
  • My ironing pile resides on the back of my couch. 

3. What are the must-sees sights around you?

Five sights around Richmond, the suburb in which I live. I could go on for ages about Melbourne, but in Richmond, here are a few things to see. 

  • The Skipping Girl Vinegar sign. One of Melbourne's first and most famous neon signs. The fact that Skipping Girl Vinegar hasn't been available since the 50's is beside the point. 

  • The Yarra River is great to walk along. If you're lucky you get to see Salvatore the seal. He's not in residence very often, but he's cute - and very smelly. He's also huge and you don't want to be a carp. He's vicious with carp - he calls them dinner. 

  • The Melbourne Cricket Ground is about 20 minutes' walk away. It holds around 100,000 people on a good day. 
  • There is a plethora of great Vietnamese restaurants a stone's throw from the front door. 
  • Oh, and there's a gin distillery, Brogan's Way, in the back streets which makes great gin. 

5. What’s your favorite restaurant meal?

At more up-market places, I'll go for the Steak Tartare - I'll only ever order that at French restaurants.

For more casual dining or pub meals, I tend to go for the eponymous chicken parmagiana. They are a bit of an Australian pub grub staple. 

6.  What was the last thing you cooked or ate?

For dinner I had some of the Jennifer Aniston salad I made last night. It consists of quinoa, cucumber, red onion, roasted pistachios, a bit of crumbled feta, parsley, mint, olive oil and lemon juice. It's gorgeous - and filling. 

7. What is something you learned from your grandparents.

My maternal grandmother taught me how to knit and crochet nearly 50 years ago. She did a great job of getting me started. 

8. What’s the weather like as you are writing your postcard?

October in Paris - autumnal colours, maybe with a few clouds. Bliss. 



9. Share an interesting fact that you’ve learned, and which most people are not aware of.

Baby elephants don't get control of their trunks until they are about a year old - and the consequences of this are hilarious. 

10. Are there any local events or festivals in your area?

 Plenty - it's Melbourne. There are festival's all over the place. There's always something going on somewhere in Melbourne. November is the British Film Festival month. 

11. What was the last concert you attended?

Oh my. I went to a play on Friday - a modern take on Cyrano de Bergerac - and it was excellent. For music, I believe I went and saw an Australian Indigenous group called Spinifex Gum back in between lockdowns three and four. That's about right. A friend had a spare ticket. They were great. 

12. What is your favorite charitable organization?

The Fred Hollows Foundation. It gives people back their sight. It's awesome. 



Today's song: 

No comments: