Friday, July 21, 2023

Char Kuay Teow

 Happiness is Char Kuay Teow. 

Thick rice noodles glazed in thickened, sweet soy sauce, some veggies, often with chicken, beef, prawns, Chinese sausage topped with bean sprouts. These a best eaten with chopsticks straight out of a takeaway box. 

Like this: 


I was coming home from visiting a friend in a local hospital. Walking back to where the car was parked, I passed the donut shop where in the hour before, I picked up some donuts for my friend. She'd had a big operation on the Wednesday - and we all know that donuts have magic healing properties. 

I did not need to know about The Oakleigh Donut Company. I did not know that they are open late. However I can highly recommend their Galactoboureko donut - it's orgasmic. My friend and I went halves in one. 

But my noodles, which were ready in five minutes, hit the spot. Okay, they're not the best Char Kuay Teow in the city, but they do okay. I like that they're not overloaded or too salty like other places do them. 

The only better noodles around are down Centre Lane in town. The Zen Noodle Bar. It's been there for years. Can highly recommend their flat rice noodles with chicken and hot chilli. Amazing. 

As I'm heading off to see Oppenheimer in the 70 mm format in a few minutes, I needed something quick, easy and filling enough to see me through a three hour film. This just hit the mark. 



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The magic healing power of friends especially when bearing scrumptious donuts!