Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Good Steak

 Steak isn't something I have that often. I like it, but it's a sometimes food. I don't mind cooking it, and when I do, I tend to get a small piece of Porterhouse and cook it with onions and mushrooms and it's wonderful. Steak isn't something I get at pubs or restaurants, it's too expensive. 

Except when I'm in Darwin. 

Tonight, a friend and I went to the Cavanagh Hotel. 

The Cav is a bit of a legendary place. It's where I've run into Merv Hughes on a number of occasions. It's where you'll find me with a pint of alcoholic ginger beer in my hand (because why not, it's that or Hard Solo). It's where my project team will go on a Monday night as a rite of passage. 

Tonight, I went with a friend to the Cav. 

I was going to have the chicken salad. I was talking about the Bang Bang Chicken Salad until I got to the cash register, where I said, "Hmm, Bang Bang Chicken Salad or Steak."

The block behind the cash register was in and ebullient mood. "Of course, you're having steak, dahhhling. This is the Cav."

He's right, the steak at the Cav is legendary. 

I ordered the smallest steak I could see. $45 for a small Scotch Fillet. Cooked rare with chimichurri sauce, some chips and salad. 

It's sort of healthy. I don't do it very often. 

It wasn't a massive steak. 

It was cooked to perfection. 

The knife slid through it like butter. It was juicy. It was seared over a flame on the grill - we could see that from the open kitchen. 

It tasted amazing. 

And yes, it is worthwhile going to a place that is known for its steaks to have it done well. 

It doesn't necessarily have to be big. A 300 gram Scotch Fillet is just enough when you're hungry, but it's not like your eyes are bigger than your stomach. They have much bigger T-bone steaks which could feed a family of six quite easily (or one Merv Hughes). They have other pub classics. 

But dinner was good tonight. Once every so often, a good steak is a good thing. 

Today's song: 



No comments: