Thursday, November 16, 2023

The Comfort of Randoms

 As contractors here in Darwin, we have a rule. Do not go out alone on the streets after 8 p.m.

There is safety in numbers. 

Although Darwin is not inherently dangerous, there are different dangers here of which you need to be aware. There are more itinerant people per capita roaming the empty streets at night. In larger cities you don't see it as much as there are more people around the place. And just as I don't go down Victoria Street, Richmond alone after about 8 p.m. Chances are nothing is going to happen, but you never know. Also, after some nasty violent occurrences and the odd dodgy run in, it's a rule we tend to stick to. Sure, if you're in a group you're fine, just as you are catching a taxi or Uber. You just need to be a little more aware of your surroundings. 

I'm writing this as the lights of a divvy van flash outside the Woolies on Cavanagh Street. It's 10 p.m. This happens regularly. 

Tonight, my team walked back from the wharf after taking a sunset dinner cruise. Other than the prevalence of rude boomers, we had a lovely night. The meal was great. There were lots of prawns and oysters. The sunset was gorgeous. It was all good. And walking back into the city, there were plenty of people about. No drama at all. 

On the boat, we managed to pick up a random, as is the custom in Darwin. Her name was Jenny, who had just got off the Ghan, a midwife from Melbourne. She was sitting by herself. We invited her to join us and she made for pleasant company. The addition of a random also stopped us from talking work. 

After the cruise, we made our way back into town. We talked about Darwin at night. She wasn't aware of being in town after dark. I'm a bit surprised her hotel didn't warn her about a few places. (Our hotel will often give us the lay of the land speech on check in.)

We were joined by another random, Peter from Quebec. An older gentleman, we'd had a chat at the buffet on the boat and he knew Jenny from the Ghan. Nice fellow. 

"You know, you can really feel the intent on the street. I'm glad I'm walking back with a group."

"So am I."

"It's a wonderful place, but it feels off at night."

"You've got it."

A sixty-something gent has picked it up. It feels a bit strange after dark on the streets. He went off to his hotel in the other direction after five minutes. 

My colleagues wanted to kick on after the boat. I needed to get back home, start packing and have some time out. It was a 200 metre well-lit walk to the hotel from the bar where the crew were going. 

"I'm going to be alright." I told them. 

And I was. 

But I stood a bit closer to a nice fellow with his takeaway dinner - he looked like an accountant, as I was crossing Cavenagh Street. 

And I picked up some Dutch tourists going to the hotel for the last hundred metres of the walk. We were staying at the same place. 

It's not that I felt unsafe. It just felt more comfortable walking with the randoms. 

And on the good side, most people feel the same. And they are friendly. I was given a mango on the way home tonight. A couple in the lift had a tray of them and they offered me one. People strike up conversations in all sorts of places. It's worse than being on a bus in Adelaide, where everybody talks to you. People are genuinely nice. 

But you still don't wander the streets alone after dark if you can help it. 

Today's song: 

No comments: