Friday, February 2, 2024

The Room

 I love the decadence of a five-star hotel room. I love the little touches. The carriage alarm clock. The coffee maker. The white fluffy bath sheets which have been plumped into clouds. The proper air conditioning which feels like an Antarctic breeze - the perfect foil for the Sydney humidity. 

Somehow, I managed to find a deal on this wonderful room. For an extra $50 I could trade in booking at a nearby hotel, cheap, but nowhere near as nice, for this, with the promise of a long, deep bath, and quiet hallways (the other place gets a bit noisy - it's a haunt for air crews) and the armchair in which it is great to read. 

The king-sized bed is the perfect mix or not to hard, and not too soft. Goldilocks wouldn't have to think about it. 

And the bathroom products are Balmain.

The room service, comes with crispy chips and a very polite server who was enchanted when I thanked her in Thai. (ขอบคุณ - the only bit of Thai I know.)

"How did you know I'm Thai?" she asked.

"There's about 20 letters in your first name?" I smiled. 

"Can you say it?" she asked.

I gave it a crack. Seems I did good and didn't stuff up the pronunciation too badly. 

Nice people appear to work in five-star hotels. Well, the service staff are exceptional. 

I'd forgotten how nice it is to treat yourself to a big room and a comfy bed and room service for a night. This is my Christmas present to myself. Well, this and the Ludovico Einaudi concert at the Opera House tomorrow. He's playing at the Myer Music Bowl next week - it wouldn't be the same. 

I'm now going to drink my gin and tonic and read a book.

Today's song: 



No comments: