Friday, February 5, 2010

To run, or not to run

Whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer the shin splints and strains of outrageous exhaustion, or by cessation, end them. To jog, to crawl, to jog perchance to finish - ah, there's the rub...

Freaky Running Boss - My wonderful friend, who has moved back to Boston, USA, ex boss, ex Dutchman, runner of a marathon a month, has asked whether I would like to run in the Mountain Desert Island Marathon in Maine, USA on 17 October 2010. And he will do it with me, at my speed.

Freaky Running Boss did the Boston Marathon in about 3:05 last year. I did the Adelaide Half Marathon in 2:39 last year. For somebody who was not running in March last year, this is a big thing. His generosity knows no bounds.

That Freaky Running Boss was the one who inspired me to start running is one thing. That he saw me through 18 of the 21 kilometres of the Adelaide Half marathon, egging me on gently and making me sprint the last half kilometre. Not many people can or will do that for you.

I am scared. I am looking at this and thinking, me - marathon? 42.2 kilometres of sheer pain and perseverence! What will the training do to my social life? What will the training do to my body?I'm still sore from Tuesday's torture session with Pinochet. Don't ask me questions like this when I'm having trouble sitting down, standing up and moving my shoulders. Repeatedly throwing around a spare tyre and sprinting in the heat will do this to you.

And why am I even considering booking myself in for this?

Card for the Blog: Three of Swords. Old pain. Suck it up Princess. Deal with your issues. Move on and do it.

Looks like I had better get running....

Pand
Kilometres walked since 29 Jan: 22 kilometres
Kilometres walked since 29 Jan: 8.5 kilometres
Currently reading: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (nearly finished), UltraMarathon Man by Dean Karnazes
Weight lost since 29 Jan: 0.7 kg

No comments: