Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Photo February - Day Twenty


Peaceful Demonstration, Federation Square

 
I saw this scene on the way home from book group last night. A candlelit vigil demonstrating against the genocide of the Shia Muslims in Pakistan. Men, women, children sitting quietly by candlelight, holding up signs, bothering nobody. A couple of people were out the front talking to passersby about what was going on in Pakistan.
 
A workmate of mine, originally from Pakistan once told,"I come from a place where they take out people of my religion and nobody gives a damn. It happens every day."
 
How very, very fortunate that I don't come from such a place - where some human life has no value. Where people are persecuted for their race of beliefs.
 
I can't remember the last time I felt so fortunate.

1 comment:

MedicatedMoo said...

There's a similar group outside the UN, too and they've been there every single day since we moved here back in May 2011. Nobody pays any attention to them and it fills me with a mixture of pity for their doggedness in the face of disinterest and of their situation itself.