Sunday, July 28, 2019

For the Queen's Curiosity Questions

It's all a bit sad. I've just come back from having a pedicure with a friend. We stopped for coffee at my local cafe, and was welcomed by the news that the cafe is closing and the manager, who I've known for over ten years, will be not working from there from later tonight. I'm very sad about this. This is my cafe. It may not be the best cafe - but the coffee is constant and the eggs are good and it will be closing on 1 September. Will have to find somewhere else to go after the gym on Sunday morning. It's most sad.

I'll concentrate on the positives - this time next week I'll be sitting in a theatre seeing Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. Yay.

I'll still miss Adrian, the cafe manager. It's big news.

Right, things to do, so best get on with these questions, supplied, as always, by Bev at Sunday Stealing.


1.  What is the nearest book to you?  Your Kindle does not count.

I have a bookcase filled to the brim with books about a foot behind me. The first title I can see if I turn around is The Museum of Modern Love by Heather Rose. It's an incredible read. Won the Stella Prize. Love it.

2.  When was the last time you took a "me" vacation

Last year I went to Bali for my birthday. That was eleven months ago. That was a part of the festival of me. I did a bit of yoga and a lot of gin drinking. It was awesome.

3.  How many telephone numbers do you have?

Technically three, but I only use one. I have a land line that I never use. I've got a mobile (cell) and I have a spare cell in my drawer which I should hand into the mobile muster. I haven't used it in ten years. It's a pay as you go. The number is probably defunct.

4.  If you could fix one thing in the public school system, what is the one thing you would do immediately?

Bring back the arts - more art, music, writing. I'd also bring back more technical subjects where kids who aren't academic could get on the apprenticeship path.

Oh, and this:



5.  Are you a big tipper?

I'm Australian. As a rule, as we pay our serving and wait staff a proper wage, we don't tip. If the service is out of this world, you might get 5-10%, but we, as a rule, as a country, don't tip. It's not a part of our service industry - people are not at the behest of the tips they make to feed themselves or pay the rent - and long may that remain.  (Wait staff make around $20 an hour - yeah..., plus leave loadings)

6.  Do you watch reality shows?

Sort of. I have a few that I do watch - Married at First Sight, sometimes I'll look in on The Block, and I'll watch the odd episode of Masterchef, but that is about it. Oh, and Ninja Warrior - but technically that's not a reality show.

7.  Who is your favorite sports team player?

If I have to say one person, probably Eddie Betts of the Adelaide Crows. Good bloke. Little and fast.

8.  If you could travel in a spaceship to any planet, which planet would you like to visit and why?

I'd love to go to Saturn, just to see the rings and the moons. They look amazing from here.

9.  When was the last time you sat in a church?

Oh gawd, I really don't have an idea. I think I popped into a church into St Francis's Catholic Church in Adelaide in October when my friend Geetangeli was over from New Zealand. I'm not a Christian, but I do love the feeling of peace I get sitting in churches. The last time I went voluntarily to a church service for myself was when I was 16. And I know I popped in on the last half of my cousin's Anglican service in Sydney a few years ago. He's an Anglican priest. I walked in as he was giving the sermon. He winked at me and made mention that we should be grateful the building was still standing.

I slept in what was a confessional, in what was a chapel, in what was a monastery a few weekends ago when I was on retreat. Does that count?

10.  Are there any aspects of blogging that annoy you?

As a weekly blogger it's just a fun thing to do on Sunday. I don't like those spamming commenters who try and sell you fake luxury goods.

11.  When someone follows you on their blog or subscribes to your Facebook page, do you automatically follow and subscribe back?

Sorry, no. But I think about it on Twitter.



Today's Song:


3 comments:

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Pand,

The tipping thing is the same here in the UK (as you probably know). Having to tip is one of the worst things about visiting America. I feel sorry for the waiters and waitresses there.

:o)

Cheers

PM

Lori said...

We still have the arts in place at the school I am at. I agree, those need to stay! Loved your answers! Have a nice Sunday.

https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

J Lenni Dorner said...

I'm with you on hating spam! Something called m88 leaves me two comments a day. They call go to the trash folder at once. But it's these nightmare long posts like, who the heck would even read it if it were published??? Save the novella for a 99 cent ebook. LOL.