Sunday, December 29, 2019

Looking Back

An interesting day today. Took a drive out to a place called Daylesford, about an hour and a half away from Melbourne to see the parentals who are over from Adelaide with some friends. We had a barbeque, exchanged Christmas gifts and caught up, which was nice. I also have a bottle of gin on a change of leadership in Australia in the next three months. It's going to be interesting. We will see what happens.

This is a favourite reflection of the year. Thanks for posting Bev at Sunday Stealing.

1. First things first, did you have a good year?

It was okay. Work wasn't great but the rest of it was fine. Nothing to write home about, but nothing to complain about either.

2. If you traveled, where did you go?

I went to a few new places this year. Other than the regular Sydney trips and two trips over to Adelaide, the passport was used. I spent a week in Hong Kong in March, then I went away for a fortnight and spent ten days in Northern India with two days in Hong Kong on the way home.

A few weeks ago I had a long weekend in country Queensland too. So I did well on the travel front.

3. Which fashion trends did you love?

Wide legged  trousers that are slightly cropped. Love them.

4. Which fashion trends did you hate?

I could never wear those short shorts all the young ones are wearing. There are some things some body shapes may think about avoiding. (People can wear what they like, but yeah, not the prettiest of sights are seen sometimes.)

5. What was your favorite article of clothing this year?

I have a pair of black cheesecloth wide-legged long trousers. They're so comfortable and cool.

6. What song sums up this year for you?

As I said, it's been an interesting year this year. It's had its ups and downs, but looking back, if I ask who will save my soul, it's going to be me.


So I nominate Jewel's version of this song as this years them tune,''

7. What was your favorite movie of the year?

I have seen 46 movies this year - and my two clear standouts  were Booksmart and JoJo Rabbit - which I saw the other day. I like films with clout. The former made me laugh so hard I nearly wet myself. The latter is just brilliant. Sad, funny, tragic, absurd and a must see. It's not what you expect from what you see in the trailer.



8. Did an actor/actress catch your attention for the first time this year?

Ah, Tom Ellis. What can I say, I have a thing for dark-haired Englishmen...



9. Favorite new TV show?

That would probably be Lucifer. I know it's been on air for a few years, but I found it on Netflix a few months ago and it makes me smile.

I also like The Marvelous Mrs Maisel and Fleabag, but I only get to watch them on the plane going back and forth to where ever I'm going.

10. Did you make any big permanent changes this year?

Other than my hair is a bit lighter. No big permanent changes.

11. What was one nice thing you did for yourself?

I gave myself December off work. My contract ended at the end of November and instead of stressing out and trying to find a job, I let myself take a structured sabbatical for a few weeks to get my energy back and my head space right. It was a very good decision. Four weeks in and I feel like myself again. Job hunting in earnest will start on 6 January. I hope to have a job by the end of the month.

12. Did you develop a new obsession?

It appears I've got myself back into walking / running. I went on a Park Run while I was in Queensland and I loved it. I hope to be able to run 5 kms by the end of 2020 (this is not a stretch, but I need to lose weight to before I get running again.) It's a really cool set up. Free, organised, nice people, local and worldwide at the same time. What more do you need?

13. Did you vote?

Yes. I'm Australian, voting is compulsory (well you have to get your name marked off at the polling booth - what you do with your ballot paper is your business). But yes, I voted in the Federal Election earlier this year.

14. Did you move?

Nope.

15. Did you get a job?

I changed jobs in late June. Still unsure if this was a great thing. It was a bit like going out of the frying pan and into the fire. But enough of that.

16. Did you get a pet?

No, but Maow Maow is coming to stay tomorrow. Does that count?

17. Do you regret not doing anything?

Not really. Looking back, another week in India to have a look around Rajasthan would have been great - but I can always go back.

18. Do you regret doing something?

In glum moments, part of me regrets moving jobs when I did, but the new job wasn't all bad - it just wasn't a great place at the time I was there. Good people under a lot of pressure - it wasn't ideal. You don't know that when you're going into a place.

19. Have you done anything that scared you?

Going to India, in the build up, really scared the crap out of me. It was great when I got there, but there was a real fear of the unknown before I went. I'm so glad I did go - I had a great time.

20. Did anyone/thing make you so mad it stayed with you for days?

Our current Federal Government has had me angry since they got in again in May. This has gone from a general aggravation to full on hostile contempt in the last few weeks.

I'm hoping I win that bottle of gin.... But who would take over? Peter 'Spud' Dutton? There would be outright revolution. Maybe this would be a good thing.

21. Did you lose anyone close to you?

Thankfully, no.

22. Who was important to you this year but wasn’t important last year?

Tom Ellis.... my friendship group stayed pretty stable.

23. Who wasn’t as important to you this year as they were last year?

Tony Abbott. Awful Australian politician. He lost his seat. I don't have to think of ways to do him existential harm any more.

Again, my friendship group is pretty stable. Some people have drifted off, others have come closer, but the core remains the same.

24. If you could have a do over on one thing you did, would you take it?

If I could do anything over again, it would be the writer's retreat I went on in June. It was phenomenal, and I'd like to do it over again because it was so great. I'm doing it again in June. Wonderful fun.

25. What was the best moment of the year for you?

Tying my friends together as a part of their wedding ceremony in India. This is the job of the big sister. I was incredibly honoured to have this role in the wedding.

26. What was the worst?

The two really nasty chest infections I got over October. They were awful. Five days in bed each with both of them. I haven't had a chest infection in years. I blame the stress of the job at the time.

27. What are you most proud of accomplishing?

I got a story published in late November in a literary magazine. If you want to have a look at it, go here.

28. What have you learned about yourself this year that you didn’t know in the years prior?

I am a lot braver than I think I am. I can face my fears. India proved this to me.

29. What do you wish for others for the coming year?

Peace, happiness, love and a new Federal Government.

30. What do you wish for yourself?

Well other than the above, I want the following for myself in 2020: (in no order)

  • To finish the first drafts of both my novels
  • To get a great new job, with great people, in town, paying well, with surmountable challenges
  • To be able to run 5 kms again by the end of the year (softly, softly catchy the monkey)
  • To travel to some new places
  • To maintain the rage and enthusiasm for some very substantial changes in Australia (Gough Whitlam's words, not mine)
  • To make the time to exercise, read and write daily. 


Today's song:


3 comments:

Stacy said...

You have had quite the year with all that travel and the job business. I love that you were able to give yourself all of December off to get your head together and relax. I hope the new year is a good one for you, as well, and that you find just the right job.

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Pand,

Ah - will Clive Owen start to get jealous?

:o)

Cheers

PM

Lori said...

I love The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel so much. Such a great show. Best of luck on your job hunt! Loved your answers! Have a Happy New Year 2020!

http://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/