Sunday, December 22, 2019

The Sleepy Rambles Meme

Three days before Christmas. It was 44 degrees in the shade on Friday (111 degrees Fahrenheit in the old money) but thankfully the heat has backed off. The cassata is on the make - two layers to go, I'm about to go pick up the ham from Blarney's place - her oven had decided to pack it in, so I'll be doing the glazing here on Tuesday.

I've also discovered through this sabbatical:

  • Cardio is much easier to tolerate at the gym when you're watching an old episode of Grey's Anatomy
  • My hair has got really, really curly - not bothering to straighten it any more.
  • Black out curtains are the best things ever - getting an extra hour of sleep at the moment.
  • I don't know if our Prime Minister will still be our Prime Minister in three months, evil, pompous, incompetent, smug, narcissistic tosser that he is.

Image result for scott morrison memes

Questions, as always, come from Bev at Sunday Stealing, then whoever she stole them from.


1. Do you ever give things away to your friends?

Sometimes. I will give books away to friends quite readily.

2. Does it make you uncomfortable when your parents talk about finding people attractive? If your parents don’t make comments like that, what sort of things can your family members say that do make you feel uncomfortable?

I think the only time my mother has made me feel uncomfortable was when we were walking through Chinatown and she pipes up, "There are a lot of Asians around here..." Okay, we were walking through Chinatown. The city area is home to many Asian students and residents. Mum lives in a country town. She was stating the bleeding obvious, but it didn't sit that comfortably. (Mum is not racist, however, she sometimes engages her mouth before thinking).

3. Have you ever heard of an “alternative spring break”? Have you ever participated in one or known someone who has?

Too old and Australian to even know what they are talking about here. Spring break is an American concept, where, from the exposure we have from the movies and telly, college students go somewhere, drink a lot, try to have sex and behave like muppets.

4. Is there anyone’s friendship or relationship, in particular, that makes you jealous?

Nope. Next.

5. Is there a book series where you loved the first book, but for some reason the other books in the series just didn’t measure up?

Ah, The Hunger Games. The first book of the series was one of the best pieces of Young Adult literature I've ever read. The other two books in the series not so much.

6. Are you a registered voter?

I am Australian. Voting is compulsory in Australia - well, it is compulsory to front up to the polling booth on election day for Federal, State and Local elections (and if you don't turn up, and you don't have a good reason, you get fined.) Nothing is stopping you from spoiling your ballot paper, but you have a civil obligation to turn up to elections. So yes, you could say I'm a registered voter.

For the Americans, we also put in pen and paper votes, none of this voting machine malarkey. Makes for better accountability.

7. Are there any stores/restaurants that you would like to shop/eat at, but there aren’t any located near enough to you?

Not really, as the food in Melbourne (actually all around Australia) is excellent. But, I would love if my favourite dumpling bar in Kowloon, Hong Kong was here. Best prawn dumplings ever.

Oh, and if Adelaide could send over some decent bakeries to Melbourne, that would be good. The pasties are far superior in Adelaide - you're struggling to get a decent pasty in Melbourne city (Country bakeries are a bit better, but they are still better in South Australia)

8. How many people would you say you are close with? Who are they?

I'd say seven. All have different roles in my life. Most I don't see much of, but I feel close to them regardless.

There's Blarney (Melbourne sister)
Mariah (In Queensland - old, dear friend)
Jonella (Good mate, talk most days)
Jay from the gym (see her most days too)
Geetangeli (In New Zealand - old, dear friend)
Reindert (In Colorado - lovely mate)
Him in Sydney


9. Do you ever have smell hallucinations?

Rarely. I've got a good sense of smell, but normally there is a reason for what I'm smelling.

10. Is there something that you did not used to take seriously, that you either now take seriously or wish that you had in the past (e.g., a relationship that you miss, your education, etc.)?

Money and politics.  I am very aware of both now, but never was years ago. I'm very vocal about the latter - especially as the standard you walk past is the standard you accept - and I don't accept a lot of what the government, particularly the Federal government are doing.

I also wish I had piano lessons as a kid.

11. Are there any subjects that you are interested in so much that you would read whole books or academic journals about them?

Lots of things - I'm a wannabe academic after all. I'll read anything I can get my hands on about the Kings and Queens of England, Shakespeare, theatre, medicine, interesting murders... this is a long list.

12. Are you physically affectionate with your friends?

I used to be more affectionate, but I've had it drubbed out of me. My friends still get a kiss an a hug when we meet and when I go. I've very affectionate with Maow Maow.

13. When you were in school, did you witness a lot of bullying? How did the teachers react to name-calling or violence?

Thankfully no. I was oblivious to a lot of it, and I went to school in a different era.

14. If there is a specific celebrity (or two, or three!) that you dislike, is it because of petty reasons or is it because they’ve done something absolutely damning in your mind?

Other than thinking Penelope Cruz looks like an emu/ostrich, then no. Craig McLachlan, star of the Doctor Blake Mysteries has gone down in my estimations, but he's still innocent until proven guilty, so I'll leave it at that.

15. Are any of your friends/relatives actually impressive artists or writers?

I have lots of friends who are great writers and artists, but none of them are famous.

Today's song, dedicated to our incompetent prick of a Prime Minister, who, in my humble opinion, can sod off back to Hawaii. This is a bit of an Aussie anthem. There is an addition to the chorus. It has to be sung, full pent, always. (The Angels are an Adelaide band)






4 comments:

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Pand,

I wish voting was compulsory here in the UK.

That way we might not be in the mess we are in at the moment.

:o)

Cheers

PM

Bev Sykes said...

I've always been jealous of Australia since I found out about compulsory voting. Heck, we are lucky if 50% of people in this country vote...that's how we got the clown in the White House.

Alternative spring break is actually a good thing--students doing volunteer work somewhere instead of partying.

What a shame you had affection "drubbed out of you."

zippiknits...sometimes said...

#3. Exactly! Muppets! lol

I wish we had compulsory voting! And we've had unscrupulous Ideologues in Ohio hand victories, very questionable ones, to hawkish presidents. We really should have tarred and feathered a few people by now. Gah!

Stacy said...

Hmmm...I'm unsure how I feel about compulsory voting. It would be great to have that much voter participation, but I guess I struggle with the whole freedom thing.