Friday, October 28, 2022

Theatre Review: Cyrano

 The Play: Cyrano

The Theatre: Melbourne Theatre Company - Southbank Theatre

The run: Ends 29 October

Stars: A very solid 4.5

I have been looking forward to this one for two years. Originally, it was supposed to show in the 202 MTC season, but we all know what happened then. Even more unfortunately, Melbourne went into lockdown the day before this play premiered. 

And then, there was this:


It was on the ABC in the middle of lockdown. This soliloquy got me in the gut, and the heart. And yeah, I was sold. (As I found out tonight, this was the final speech of the play). Then we had to move the tickets because I had something on. Then I got COVID. So, we were lucky to be able to change our tickets - and all was right with the world. Jay wasn't as enthusiastic about this, having seen a number of versions of Edmond Rostand's play and never liking it that much. 

I'm glad we made it, because I would be KICKING myself if I missed this. 

What Virginia Gay has done in this has completely reworked Cyrano, giving it a queer, post-modern twist AND a happy ending. It is most wonderful. Traditionally, Cyrano is run through with a sword at the end. This was much nicer. 

For those unaware of Cyrano, here's what the programme says about it:

"Cyrano is the most interesting person in any room – a wordsmith, a charmer, a ruthless fighter. She works twice as hard and runs twice as fast as any of the pretty boys, because she’s deeply ashamed of something about herself. Enter Roxanne: brilliant, beautiful Roxanne – a student of life, with a penchant for poetry and a way with words, just like Cyrano. But Roxanne doesn’t like Cyrano … not like that. She’s only got eyes for Yan: hot, manly Yan; all-brawn-and-no-brains Yan, who is dumbstruck around Roxanne. Probably shy, right? But it’s not Yan writing these perfect love scenes, it’s Cyrano …"

This is a very funny play, filled with breaks in the fourth wall, very minor audience participation, in jokes, jibes and a general mirth which is infectious. 

Virginia Gay is most wonderful as the eloquent, yet bashful Cyrano. Tuuli Narkle a sparkling Roxanne, who calls out the crap better than anybody. Claude Jabbour is solid as Yan, the meatheaded soldier in love with Roxane - the body of a Greek sorry, slash that, Lebanese God, who was most put out when I found out he was just a fat Chris Pratt (see, in jokes). Then there was the Chorus, Holly Austin, Robin Goldsworthy and Milo Hartill, who act as a conscience and a comic relief for the show (not that the play needs comic relief - the play's hilarious).

Sarah Goodes direction is fast paced, soulful and holds just the right amount of pathos to balance out the breakneck comedy. 

What also had me was the audience. Being an MTC subscriber, I'm used to seeing the grey-haired arty set in the auditorium. Cyrano has managed, in its six-week run, to become the hottest ticket in town. The audience was a lot younger - and a lot more diverse - but what would you expect from a play about acceptance and inclusion after a queer reworking. 

Unfortunately, it only has one more day to run - tickets are harder to get than unicorn poo. 

I'm just miffed I didn't see this earlier. If I had, I'm pretty sure I would have picked up another ticket and gone again. 

Today's song: 

No comments: