Tuesday, December 27, 2022

Changes

 Driving through the streets of Adelaide, you can't help but notice the change in the place. 

Remember, I left here for good in 1991, but have returned a few times a year since 1999. 

The first big impression is the amount of road works that have taken place - some of which should have happened 20 years ago - like the Southern Expressway. But other things, that I'd not notice, like the Cross Roads overpass. I remember as a kid sitting waiting to get across that intersection on the way into town. Darlington is completely transformed with its own version of Spaghetti Junction. Routes you've been taking forever are not there anymore. New train lines go to places they really should have been going to for years. The city feels like it's booming. 

Until you go down other familiar streets, where nothing has changed. Motoring up Goodwood Road, familiar buildings are still there. The Capri Cinema, one of the few independent cinemas is still operating. It reminds me of The Astor in Melbourne. 

The Wayville Pavillion, home to many a university exam, still triggers me. I remember sitting my very last undergrad exam in there on a stinking hot November day back in 1990.

Going down Pultney Street, the changes are more noticeable. What used to be the Green Dragon pub, once a notorious gay pub, is now a Fasta Pasta. The Left Bank is gone. Where will uni students get cheap door-step sandwiches? There are a few more buildings over five storeys. As much as it's trying to feel like a big city, it still feels like Adelaide.

I parked by car in what used to be John Martins car park - a department store in which I used to work. Adelaide used to have cheaper parking. Wilson Parking has put pay to that. Three hours, $21 (on a public holiday even - arseholes.

Today's little trip, after visiting a friend in her new home, was to go to the Art Gallery. 

Things most people don't know about this gem of a place. 

Firstly, it's one of the oldest established Art Gallery in Australia, set on North Terrace in a fine sandstone building. 

Secondly, it seriously punches above its weight. Its collection is excellent and eclectic. Wandering into the first room, you're greeted by a flayed horse, a skeleton and all sorts of things. I was rather enchanted by a marble statue of a body under a tarpaulin. It's an incredible piece.


As you go further, the treasures continue. There are numerous Rodins, a number of Sidney Nolans and McCubbins. I tripped over a Francis Bacon - forever a favourite artist of mine. 

Then there was this VERY trippy exhibit by Yayoi Kasuma, which was a complete mindfuck. It's called The Spirits of the Pumpkins Descended Into the Heavens. They only let in ten people at a time. You're surrounded by a sea of yellow with black polka dots. You then look into a room and see the following. 


See. A mindfuck. 

Visiting the gallery was a great way to escape the 40-degree heat too. 

One good thing about Adelaide heat is that it's bone dry. By wearing cotton, staying in the shade and drinking a lot, you can remain comfortable. Air con and doing very little helps too. 

So, I made my way home after that, popping in on my sister to collect a few things. The cat has been in the granny flat with the air conditioning set on low. He discovered the joys of huntsman spiders today. He thinks they're fun to play with. He's a bit miffed with me as I demanded my stepdad come up and deal with it for me. He got it on the end of a broom and took it outside. Lucifer is pissed I got rid of his playmate. 

In all, a successful day. 

Today's song: 

No comments: