Monday, November 20, 2023

Tap Dance Recitals and other Joys

 This is my week of music, and it started on the weekend. 

It's going from the ridiculous to the sublime. 

Friday there's a Taylor Swift Tribute concert in Northcote. I'm not Taylor Swift's greatest fan, I don't mind her stuff, but it's a bit poppy for me, Regardless, the acts that are playing - Alex the Astronaut, Kate Miller-Heidke, Lisa Miller... Australian artists I like, I'll go for that. Plus, it's a night out with the girls from the retreats - always good value. 

Thursday is Robbie Williams at AAMI Park. I've never been into AAMI Park, but I do like Robbie Williams. It will take me back to the 90s, probably like everybody else in the audience. I'm told he puts on a great show.  I'm taking over a ticket that Jay's friend forgot about before booking a ticket to Bali. 

Wednesday is going to be great. Another Talking Heads tragic and I are heading to the Nova to see Jonathan Demme's Stop Making Sense. I've seen many clips from this, but never the whole movie. I can't wait. Stop Making Sense is one of my most favourite albums. Seminal album from a stellar band. (and yes, I can sing the whole thing - my friend has been warned.)

Tomorrow night is book group. 

Tonight, I'm having a nice, quiet one. 

Yesterday, was support a friend day. My darling cat sitter is in a choir. She talks about it a lot and yesterday, they were putting on a recital at the Brunswick Ballroom. I've had demos of a lot of the songs from her over the last year, and being a supportive friend, I made my way out to Sydney Road for the concert. 

They were really good. Sure, it's a mob of boomers singing, but they were happy boomers, and they were in tune. I know a couple of other choir members. Another friend of friends and an old workmate. They had a blast. And the songs were great. I was keen to see what they were going to do with Lou Reed - and they did a great version of Satellite of Love, although they didn't have to wear the 3D glasses to be effective. I also loved how they put Julia Gillard's Misogyny Speech to Donna Summer's I Will Survive

My friend has been at me to join the choir. I can't sing. Not worth the trouble. Another funny moment came when she introduced me to some other choir members. I was introduced as "Lucifer's Mum." She'd told them all about my funny little black cat who was sitting in her cupboard. 

Lucifer's Mum. Phah!

Then there was the tap dancing. 

I went on spec. 

I went because I wanted to catch up with a friend. 

I wasn't sure what I was getting myself into. If I'd know that this was an all-ages tap dance school in the end of year show

There is a reason why people tap dance. I think it has something to do with the fact that it's just a little ridiculous. I mean, you go out there in noisy shoes and dance in unison to old songs. 

It didn't go on for long. 

People were enjoying themselves - that's the main thing.

And it didn't go on for long. 

But some marijuana would have helped. 

Today's song: 

No comments: