Saturday, March 17, 2012

The Scottish Meme

This was pinched from the king of the memes, Sunday Stealing after I realised that I was halfway through a meme that I'd already done that was possibly stolen off me or the Plastic Mancunian at some stage. Sunday Stealing's meme questions are sometimes great. Sometimes they're just plain naff - an as I'm in the middle of planning and structuring a novel, memes are about all I have time or inclination for.

Anyways. Here goes nothing.

1. Where are you from and where do you live now?

I'm originally from Adelaide, South Australia. I'm not from Myponga, South Australia as people think - only moved there when I was eight.

Now, I live in inner city Melbourne.


2. Favorite childhood story/book/film?

Favorite childhood story - Cinderella. Gotta love a happy ending. Favorite book - I don't think I had one - I've been an avid reader from a young age and loved Golden Books - especially anything with Disney characters. Favorite film as a kid - The Sound of Music. I can still sing most of the songs by rote.


3. If you could change gender for a day what would you do?

That is a bit of a loaded question. Honestly. If I had a penis for the day? You mean other than play with myself all day (that's what men sometimes do, don't they?)  Pee standing up without getting my feet wet. I think I'd love to see what it's like to have sex as a bloke. That would be cool. And wear trousers - I just what to see where everything goes - that's always been a mystery to me how everything fits in there...

You can tell I don't have brothers.


4. Do you feel you family is complete or would you like more/some children?

Terribly loaded question. I don't have kids. I've never had a partner. Would I like a child/children? Yes. But not without being in a loving, committed relationship? Do I feel the loss of not having children. Not really. I see what my friends go through a lot of the time and I count my blessings that it's never happened to me - then again. I'm grateful for the opportunities being childless has given me? Will I miss it on the future? I don't know. I do know that though I'm good with kids I don't know I'd be a good mother. I'm far too messed up to do a good job.


5. What do you do/Where do you work and do you enjoy it?

My day job for the next two weeks is at Bastard Bank - I'm on a project working as an instructional designer/tech writer. Starting the joyous job hunt tomorrow. Joy. I'm getting used to this onwards and upwards to the next adventure lark. As long as the people are nice and the work interesting, I'm fine.

By night/weekend, I write, massage, do reflexology, read tarot and look after other people's cats.

6. Which three words do you think sum you up?

Hard one. Three years ago those words would have been fat, ugly and stupid.

Now, I prefer to sum myself up as kind, loyal and tenacious. I don't like being labelled, but they're good words.


7. If you were a fairy what magical powers would you possess?

My magical fairy ability would be to turn back time. Not that I have any regrets, but it could come in handy to repeat tests and get another chance at things.


8. If you were invisible, where would you go and what would you do? Why?

If I was invisible I'd be using that ability regularly to sneak into the theatre and cinema all over the place. Theatre tickets over here are extortionate and I reckon I could get to see everything I'd love to see - including opera, but sneaking in unseen. Well, that sounds like a good plan to me...


9. What song can’t you listen to without crying?

There are quite a few songs that make me tear up, but this one gets me every time - time and time again.

I give you the vocal stylings of Ms Etta James.


10. Which book changed your life – or at least made you think a lot?

There have been many books that I have influenced my life, but only one that changed the course of it.

"Captain Corelli's Mandolin" was the book that took me to Greece. Robertson Davies "Cornish Trilogy" got me back into literature. Jane Green's "Straight Talking" was my life 15 years ago - I even had the "Adam" character in my life (pity that's the best thing she's ever written.)

But the book that changed my life is Dr Spencer Johnson's "Who Moved My Cheese." I read this in Fitzroy Gardens on the day I found out about a colleague taking his own life. The book spurned me on to leave my job, move to Greece, change my career and stop being so scared. It's had a huge impact and I can never be more grateful for reading a book. I'd hate to think where I would be if I didn't stumble across it.


11. Why do you blog?

Many reasons. I'm mainly a frustrated writer. It's at times a great emotional release, especially when I feel like there's nobody there - which I do feel regularly. I get to flex my satirical pen occasionally. It's a good training ground. And I love the friendships I'm starting to develop in the blogosphere.

But mainly I'm a frustrated writer and this give me a place to write - in a safe, solid environment.


12. What is your top ‘me-time’ tip?

Book the time in and make sure you take it. I don't get enough me-time at times - especially during the week I appear to be over-committed. Also, get your chores out the way before embarking on me-time - or all your time will be spent scrubbing floors and ironing - sod that - says she who's ironing a shirt and doing a question of this meme.


13. What can’t you live without?

In no order of importance: friends, books, ice cream, my health and fitness, running, the gym, cat time, animals, sunshine, the promise of travel, at least five hours sleep a night, my independence, my iPhone.


14. Which of all your blog posts are you most proud of and why?

I have a few that I'm rather fond of. I like some of my funny ones - like the one about "Would you do Shane Warne?" and the one about my dodgy taste in men, which is pretty legendary. Some of my travel posts and running posts are good.

But there are two blog posts that stick out. A letter written to my eighteen-year-old self and the post written after running a full 21.1 kilometre half marathon for the first time.

Have a look, see what you think:

http://www.pandoraqueenofdenial.blogspot.com.au/2010/07/advice-for-young-dory.html

http://www.pandoraqueenofdenial.blogspot.com.au/2010/05/warrior-woman.html

15. Have you ever met a famous person? Who and where?

I've run into many famous people in my life, but met? Hmmm. Does standing behind Emma Thompson and Geoffrey Rush in a supermarket queue count? Or nearly tripping over Bill Hunter outside work one day (God bless him)? Or passing Andrew Bolt in the street (not fast enough to trip him?)

Ah - that's it. I bummed a cigarette off Jeremy Clarkson in a restaurant many years ago - it was that long ago when you could smoke in restaurants. And he was still a pillock. And I emptied Sir Cliff Richard's bin on a work hazing day about twenty years ago (worked in an employment agency that ran industrial temps - we had to work as a bin man (dustman) for a day to get a grip on what people did for a living... But that doesn't count because I didn't meet him - I just emptied his wheelie bin.

16. When did you last have a full nights sleep?

Last night. I normally sleep pretty well.


17. What would you think is harder: Going to work or staying at home with children?

Hands down, staying home with children. I don't have the foggiest what you'd do with them all day. They're exhausting. At least at work, you can get away now and then if required.


18. What are you doing for Easter?

Hiding and getting some me time. I also have two cats to look after. Kitt's Burmese, Kusha, is coming to stay and I have custody of Betty, Glen Waverley and Merijn's cat, Betty. Have also been told that the latter has a smelly, pus-filled bottom and that a trip to the vet might be in order. Joy! That thing will take me arm off getting her in the cat cage!


19. What is your favorite drink?

Fresh brewed, espresso coffee. Very fond of beer in most of its forms too. And for any time imbibing - nothing goes past cool, filtered water.


20. Do you play any sports?

Nope, but I run, cycle, swim and go to the gym regularly. Does that count?


21. What is your most embarrassing moment?

I make a tit of myself regularly, but my standout moment was many years ago when I was filing at work and had to kneel down and my dress split at the seams. It was horrifying. Will never forget how awful that felt. What made it worse was the guys that I worked with didn't tell me for a few hours. Shite really.


22. How clever are you?

I'd consider myself fairly clever. I'm no brainiac, but I'm not stupid. And I'm "pretty good with words" smart.


23. Name a new favorite TV show?

I've been enjoying "Homeland" over the last few weeks - very well done - though Damian Lewis - like how can a ginger be sexy? He seems to pull it off - though I'll never get him out of my head as being Soames the Bastard from the Foryste Saga.


24. Any guilty pleasures?

Yes. Other than ice cream? I watch the Biggest Loser religiously - don't hold it against me - I love crap telly - I like good telly too and I miss England mostly because the television is so much better than here - but I'm fond of shows like RPA, Embarrassing Bodies etc. I love Pixar films. Nothing makes me happier than playing fetch with a dog or giving the Maow Maow a cuddle.

There are a few more, but I've outed myself enough for one blog post.

25. If you could have chosen your own name, what would it be?

I have a real name - and I write under Pandora Behr (come on, you didn't think my real name was Pandora T. Behr? Really?!)

I've got another pen name lined up - Kabbalistically charged and ready to go, though I told a few friends and they couldn't see the point. Thing is, I don't like my real name that much - more my surname than my Christian name - too many bad association.

So if you see a book by Trelawny Tom in the future, it's me.

In real life, I reckon I'd made a good Samantha or Alexandra - they're the names I would have liked to be called as a kid. - But I'm find with Pandora and my 'real' Christian name too.

26. Who do you most admire in life, and why?

I have a lot of people I admire for many reasons. Big people. Little people.

But my hat goes off to my cousin who runs a hospice in Canberra. Selfless work, caring for the dying day in and out. She's utterly remarkable and she does a job I could never do. She's very much an unsung hero.  
 27. What is your most treasured possession?

I'm not really into things, but I'm very fond of my car and the Pandora bracelet that received for my 40th birthday, which is filled with charms given to me by my friends.

My bed and my dog-earred copy of "Captain Corelli's Mandolin" is up there in close second.


28. Tell your favorite funny joke…

How do you titillate an ocelot?

You oscillate its tit alot.

Not funny? Never to mind. I only know bad jokes.


29. What is your biggest fear in life?

I have lots of minor fears, but the one that stands out is the thought of dying a slow, painful death. I really hope when it happens it's all over quickly.


30. What is your favorite flavor of ice cream? What does it remind you of?

I have many favorite ice creams - ice cream being the sixth food group and all, why single it out to one.

Of my favorite, the one I wish I could get my hands on is Sorbayz White Chocolate ice cream - which was just too divine for words. Big chunks of white chocolate - my favourite.

If I'm at an Indian restaurant I'll try and have a scoop of coconut ice cream for dessert. Love the stuff. If in an Asian restaurant, then I'll go the Green Tea or Black Sesame ice cream - cos they're decadent and interesting.

My favorite new flavour - found a few weeks ago - White chocolate and wasabi ice cream. Found this flavour in an ice creamery on Bourke Street - bloody marvellous stuff - and the wasabi isn't overpowering.

My supermarket standbys are as follows:

Ben and Jerry's Choc Chip Cookie Dough. This reminds me of when I used to go and sleep on a friend's floor in London to escape my share house in the last few months I was there. Snuggled up under his Snap, Crackle and Pop duvet cover, we'd share a tub of this and watch whatever was on the said Friday night. It was a nice respite from the chaos of having a bed in a basement hallway.

Here, my go to ice cream - Maggie Beer's Burnt Fig, Honey Comb and Caramel ice cream. This stuff is pure ambrosia - great for when you need to sook with a tub of the stuff.

The back up, if this isn't available - the Connoisseur range, Cookies and Cream.

But this is all moot, because I let myself have a scoop or two a week - it's just no good for my figure - and too much sugar gives me the sads.

Well there you go, another dull Saturday night at home alone, another meme done - along with the ironing, hoovering, more of my Greek travel article job...

Have a good one.

Px

p.s. The word verification thingy has been taken off. Annoying, innit.

6 comments:

MedicatedMoo said...

Always brilliant to read your memes, Pand - but right at the start you wrote THIS:
"I'm in the middle of planning and structuring a novel,"

DETAILS PLEASE!

Oh and can you turn your word verification thingy off - the thing's been 'updated' so that now we have to type in two words in fuzzy/weirdo lettering that I often get wrong.

Pandora Behr said...

Details to follow. All very early stages. And the word thingy has been removed. Px

Elephant's Child said...

You frequently inspire me. Sometimes I am just overawed. In this post you managed both.

PsychoCat said...

That joke is GOLD!

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Pand,

This one doesn't ring a bell - but I might steal it anyway...

(3) Where everything goes - a mystery to me too - and I'm a bloke!!

(11) That would be my answer too - uncanny!!

(15) Jeremy Clarkson - an obnoxious buffoon - but very funny - and despite his views I actually like him.

Great answers.

:0)

Cheers

PM

Jackie K said...

Great meme -
6. Healer, Determined, Brave
23. Homeland/ Damian Lewis - God yeah!