Wednesday, May 30, 2018

82 Days: Songs which are really about Masturbation

I'm an innocent little thing. Really I am.

So, today as I was chipping away at my test cases with music gently playing in my ears, I switched over to one of my favourite soundtracks. That of the film "Grosse Pointe Blank." (I adore John Cusack)

Image result for grosse pointe blank

My iPhone has it in for me sometimes. It went through a phase of playing Radiohead's Paranoid Android every time I turned it on. I'm not against Radiohead - I just think a lot of the time it's music by which you slit your wrists (Morrissey and The Smiths are  up there for that too)

Nope, for the last week or so, when I put my iPhone on shuffle out comes The Violent Femmes - and Blister in the Sun is playing softly in my ears.

I said that I was an innocent little thing. I only found out a few months ago that this is a song about wanking. Choking the chicken. Spanking the monkey. Whatever other euphamism you want to call it. Yep.

Yep, today's song of the day is about that thing that everybody does, but nobody owns up to.

Joy.

Then I got to thinking. These songs are out there - how many other songs about jerkin' the gherkin are out there.

It appears there are lots of them.

Like one of my favourite childhood songs. 'Turning Japanese' by "The Vapours". I remember being most disillusioned when I found out what it was about. It was almost as bad as when I worked out at the age of 33 what my grandmother was saying when she said "Wash between your legs - it will be important one day." when I was a kid.



And I challenge anybody of around my age to not sing along to The Divinyl's "I Touch Myself" - though it has sort of lost it's edge since Rolf Harris did a cover of it.


These songs have been around forever - like Chuck Berry's "My Ding-a-Ling".


Or what about Billuy Idol's "Dancing with Myself"? , "Pump it Up" buy Elvis Costello or Cyndi Lauper's "She-Bop"? (Okay, I new about the last one.)

Then there's the Dresden Dolls, "Coin Operated Boy".


It appears, if you look long and hard enough (pardon the pun) these songs are out there and proud to be there.

And I don't care if "Blister in the Sun" is about tending to your own affairs. Gordon Gano is like God and he can sing about what he wants, any time, anywhere.

(And this blog was written after a day of software testing - see what it can do to your brain!)

Today's Song:


No comments: