Sunday, August 20, 2023

I'm a very blessed woman

 My friends are wonderful. And I've been royally spoiled. 

Maybe I should have a birthday more often. 

While in Darwin, some colleagues took me to this wonderful Sri Lankan place, and then for cocktails at a Melbourne style bar (i.e. down a lane, behind a non-descript fire door) and down a dark corridor.)

The day before went well, flying back to Melbourne. I chanced my luck and met up with the big boss outside the Qantas Club before the flight. He waved me in. 

"You coming in?"

"Thank you. Thought if I sat here long enough and smiled at a nice man somebody would let me in," I told him. 

"I'm not a nice man," he replied. 

"You're Canadian, of course you're nice," was my retort. 

He shrugged. What more could he say? 

I got a Qantas Club Bloody Mary, a nice chat to the boss, and a free seat next to me on the way home. I see all of these things as a big win (okay, maybe not a chat with the boss, but I got entry to the lounge...)

Yesterday, after what felt like a day in the car, Jonella took me for cheap and cheerful Mexican. There were Lemon and Elderflower margaritas. Everything is made better with elderflower. We followed that up with ice cream from Messina Gelato - and I will say that their caramel, burnt fig and amaretti ice cream is the absolute bomb. Having come back late from Darwin, it was lovely to have a quiet meal with a good friend. It's all I wanted to do - perfect. 

Then today, a group of as met for lunch at a local French restaurant, my favourite place in Richmond, with a group of friends. It was a lovely afternoon. I know good people. And the food was once again, amazing. There was a roast beef with garlic potatoes, veggies and a apple souffle with muscat ice cream for dessert. 

But there was only enough for two pairs to have this. 

Me, I went off the menu. Two entrees. A pate filled tarte and my absolute favourite, steak tartare, followed by creme brulee. Could not be lovelier. 

It was a lovely afternoon, with great friends, doing exactly what I wanted to do on my birthday, with people I love. 

Not to mention the texts and messages sent over the day - it was a bit overwhelming. 

I'm really very blessed. 

Today's song: 

No comments: