Tuesday, August 29, 2023

The Shot

It was going to happen, then it wasn't going to happen, then it happened. My COVID booster. 

One of the joys of overseas travel is you're going to be mixing with who knows what, and who knows where they have been - and if you're going to get sick, you get sick travelling. 

And the last COVID booster I'd received was in July last year (I had COVID in October, so that gave me a bit of immunity for a while). 

Talking to the nurse while I was having my flu shot, she said the best time to get a booster is a month out from going overseas. So I took her advice and booked for this week, meaning I get to Europe with hopefully maximum immunity. 

Today came. Then I got a text that read, "Don't come for your COVID appointment today. The cold chain has been broken and we've had to destroy the vaccines. Make another appointment."

Disappointing. 

Just after lunch, a second text, "Hi, we've obtained some vaccines from a sister chemist. If you want a vaccination, come to the shop. I'll be here until 4 p.m."

I grabbed by car keys and left immediately. 

I remember all of the angst from those first vaccinations. The endless discussions about which one to get - how people were hanging out for the Pfiezer, over the Astra Zeneca - or still, waiting for the Novovax. Or to not get one at all. I remember having to provide your vaccination status to come into the office. I'm not even sure if they asked about vaccinations. We've moved on so far from all of this. 

After a five-minute wait, the nurse came and got me, and the non-spoiled Moderna vaccination from the fridge. The jab didn't hurt. I was given my chupa-chup and I was on my way. It's not a real vaccination if you don't get a lollipop at the end of it all.

Thank fully, other than a bit of a sore arm, all is well. All will be fine tomorrow. 

I'm glad that this has become normal now. 

And hopefully it stops me from getting really sick if I come face to face with the dreaded lurgy again while away. 

Today's song: 



No comments: