Saturday, September 30, 2023

Sunday Stealing: The Last...

Even though I'm on holiday, the Sunday Questions need to be done. I'll try and incorporate some holiday stuff in the questions - how about that? I am a little jetlagged - also waiting for my friend to front up, and Britain has been scuppered by rail strikes. I can get this out of the way. 

Questions, as always, come from Bev at Sunday Stealing

1. The last song you heard

In researching my song of the day, I re-discovered Jerry Rafferty's Baker Street. I'll be passing by there today as I go out to my friends' place near St Albans. I used to take the Jubilee Line daily - today, we're hopping on the service to get to Stanmore as British Rail is being held hostage to disgruntled workers. I have fond memories of Baker Street. See the song at the end of the blog. 

2. The last food you ate

I had the oat cookies found in the hotel tea and coffee box for breakfast. They were good. Like digestives, another thing the Brits do well. 

3. The last drink you had. 

There is a coffee, courtesy of the nespresso machine in the hotel room in front of me. It's not bad at all. 

4. The last line in a book/newspaper or magazine you read. 

I've just started Ian McEwan's The Comfort of Strangers. The last line reads, "He set down his briefcase, adjusted his starched white short cuffs, and courteously, with the faintest of bows, offered to walk her back the hotel. "

5. The last movie you saw. 

The last film I watched on the plane yesterday was Polite Society. Love that film. The last film I saw at the cinema was A Haunting in Venice. 

6. The last tv-show you watched

I have the BBC World news on in the background. 

7. The last news you read about your hometown.

Being on the other side of the world, little news filters through about Melbourne, but I did see that Collingwood won the grand final in some rather dodgy circumstances. Goes with the fact that the Crows should have been in the finals, but thanks to bad umpiring decisions they were now. So, Melbourne will be at the mercy of the rabid Pies supporters for the next month. Glad I'm in London. 

8. The last photo you took with your phone, with a little explanation.


It's morning. I've been for a walk. I'm at the Tower of London and I'm getting major big deja vu vibes. I've been here before, somewhere in time, and not in a good way. 

9. The last video you watched on youtube.

See the song of the day. I vetted the clip. 

10. The last thing you brought in the supermarket.

A ChapStick and some mochi on Thursday night. I love mochi. Good for when you want an ice cream hit, but not too much of it.

11. The last time you were on an airplane.

Yesterday. I spent 23 hours travelling from Melbourne, through Dubai, to London. Oh, what fun. (Not).

12. The last long drive in a car.

The Uber ride to Melbourne Airport on early Friday morning took 45 minutes. Does this count? I drove to my hairdresser the week before. That was an hour one way, 30 minutes back. It's been a while since I've been on a road trip. Reindert and I will be doing on in about a fortnight around Normandy. 

13. The last telephone conversation you had.

According to my phone log, I spoke to my Mum on Thursday night. She was wishing me well for the trip. 

14. The last letter you wrote.

I cannot remember the last time I wrote a letter that wasn't an email. 

15. The last concert you attended.

The last gig I attended was in Darwin, when we went to see the East Arrendte Band. The last concert I saw was in December last year when I went to see the Pixies. One at the Sydney Opera House forecourt. The other time was at The Forum in Melbourne. They were tighter than a goldfish's bum. 

Today's song: 

3 comments:

Bev Sykes said...

So why did it take you half the time to return from getting your hair done? Traffic? Speed?

Roger Owen Green said...

I'm jetlagged, and I only traveled 3 time zones!

TenTas said...

I lived literally off Baker Street in a tiny bedsit in York Street in 1991-92. Baker Street tube was a couple of hundred metres away and I used to pity the poor Uni student dressed up as Sherlock Holmes trying to hand out flyers!