Sunday, December 31, 2023

Sunday Stealing - 2023

 It’s New Year’s Eve. I’m not feeling terribly good, but it’s nothing paracetamol can’t keep in check. I’m in my parent’s granny flat, the cat is happy as he has birds and butterflies to watch, and there are kangaroos in the front yard at twilight. In all, a great place to spend New Year’s Eve.

Questions, as always, have been provided by the fantastic Bev at Sunday Stealing

1. What did you do this year that you had not done before? 

On my trip to France, I got to spend some time at some bucket list places – Mont St Michel, Bayeux, Occitane – and I was driving in France – which was a challenge, as the steering wheel was on left of the vehicle and they drive on the right over there. We have right-hand drive cars and we drive on the left over here. It was a challenge. I’m very proud of myself. 

Oh, and I took the Eurostar over the Paris from London. I loved that. 

2. Did you keep your New Year's Resolutions/goals for the year and will you make/set more for next year?  What are they? What are your new ones?

Last year I wrote this: 

“First up, this is going to be my year of health - whatever that looks like, I'll be working to get myself healthier. Rather than set a specific health goal, I'm just saying that by this time next year I want to be healthier. 

Secondly, it is my resolution to save my little heart out and take myself to Europe for a few weeks in October. There's a writer's retreat happening in Paris around this time. I want to go. On a cellular level, I need to go. That's the goal. 10 days on the retreat, a side trip to Normandy to see a mate and finally go to Mont St Michel (and St Malo if I can swing it), then probably a week or so in England, just because I miss the place like my left arm. 

Thirdly, it's time to get some of my words out there - and not on this blog. I want to write something and get published again. It's been too long.

My current mantra is "Do something today your future self will love you for." It's good for keeping you on the straight and narrow.”   

Well, I am a bit healthier, I did go overseas to Europe and had a ball, going to London, Paris, Sommieres, Normandy, Picardy, Mont St Michel and St Malo. Big tick. 

I got a lot of novel planning and thinking done.

And I recite to myself, “Do something your future self will thank you for.”

I’m once again not going to set any real resolutions, but I do want to do some more travel out of Australia, write more and stay healthy. 

3. Did anyone you know give birth? Or get pregnant? 

I had one old workmate give birth earlier in the year. I’m thrilled for her. She and her husband didn’t think another child would come their way. 

4. Did anyone you know die? Or have a serious illness? 

Thank goodness, nobody close to me died, and the illnesses people have had have been treated and they are either well again or living happily with their conditions. Long may that remain. 

5. What places did you visit? 

I did a bit of travelling this year. These places include:

Sydney – overnight for a concert. 

Adelaide – to see the folks and to do some work for a group I’m involved in. 

The South Island of New Zealand for just over a week. I spent a few days in Christchurch, then drove around the bottom of the South Island, visiting places like Dunedin, Invercargill and Milford Sound. I had a lovely time. 

London – to see friends. 

Paris for ten days

Sommieres, in the South of France, for a couple of days

Bayeux, Amiens and Villers Bretonneux

Oh, and St Malo and Mont St Michel

And six trips to Darwin for work. 

I saw a lot of airports this year. 

6. What would you like to have next year that you lacked this year (doesn't have to be a physical thing)? 

Love, sex and more dinners out. Maybe even have people over – as I generally don’t entertain. 

7. What date from this year will remain etched in your memory and why? 

On the fourth of October, I made my way back to Paris, and there started my French adventure. I loved every minute of it. 

8. What was your biggest achievement this year? 

There’s a couple of things. 

I started re-learning French, and this was great – the French will talk to me like a normal person, and not an idiot. The French – even the Parisians, were lovely. Being able to competently talk to people really helped. 

I remained happily employed. 

I successfully tackled some mental health issues.

And I generally stayed healthy – all good things. 

9. Did you get sick or injured? Anyone you know? 

Other than a bad bout of the flu that knocked me out for a few weeks, all is good. Other people have had some issues, but most are working them out. 

10. What was the best thing you bought? 

The airline ticket over to France. And a ticket to see Andrew Scott on stage in London. Oh and a pair of poppy earrings, which I found in a shop in Sommieres. I love them. 

11. Where did most of your disposable income go (money leftover after you pay for food, transportation and shelter)? 

Oh, as always, books, theatre and cinema – and travel. 

12. What song will always remind you of this year? 

This year’s song appears to be Miley Cyrus’s Flowers. It’s joining Adele’s Rolling in the Deep, James Blunt’s You’re Beautiful and most things by Ed Sheeran in the overplayed list. 

13. What do you wish you would have done more of? 

Travel. You can never have too much travel. Oh, and a bit more sleep. 

14. What do you wish you would have done less of? 

Procrastinating. I’m very good at that. 

15. What was your favorite new TV program? Movie? Album/Songs? Or if you didn't pick up any new ones, what are you still watching/listening to?

Favourite new movies include:

Poor Things

Saltburn

Oppenheimer

Barbie

My favourite new television show is Lessons in Chemistry. I loved the book and they did a great job of the series. 

I’ve not really found any new songs or albums, but I really enjoyed seeing Aine Tyrell live earlier in the year. She’s an Irish Folk/Rap singer and she is incredible. 

Happy 2024. 

Today's song:


2 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

I saw Barbie and Oppenheimer on successive days. For about seven minutes in Oppy, around the time Oppy was talking to Truman, the sound dropped off!

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Pand,

Very brave of you to drive in France. I have done so in my own car. ANd driving in Paris was a bloody nightmare! I won't do that again.

Happy New Year.

:o)

Cheers

PM