Sunday, December 24, 2023

Sunday Stealing: The Annual Wrap Up

 The biscuits have been made and distributed to the neighbours, the cheesecake is in the oven, I've got the ingredients ready for the sausage rolls for breakfast tomorrow morning. The flat smells like baking. It must be Christmas. 

Questions have been provided by Bev at Sunday Stealing

1. Who did you spend time with this year?

Mostly my friends. There was a bit of respite in October when I went overseas for three weeks and got to make some new friends. 

2. Anything change with the pets in your life?

Nope - still just me and Lucifer, although he's got a bit cuddlier, which is nice. 

3. What was your job like this year? What do you do? Did any roles or assignments change? If you aren’t employed, base this question on your work at home or volunteering.

I changed jobs in March as the one before that was a contract position and it came to an end. I'm now traveling to Darwin on a monthly basis. The role is the same, just a different company. 

4. What was the best book you read this year?  How many did you read?

By the end of the year I will have read 50 books. I'm nearly finished two, so I'll finish them off in the next few days. 

As for the best things I've read this year, there have been a few notable mentions. 

Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus was most wonderful. 

Barbara Kingsolver's Demon Copperhead was very deserving of the Pulitzer Prize - it's an incredible achievement. 

I adored Louis de Bernieres' Daniel Pitt trilogy (The Dust that Falls from Dreams, So Much Life Left Over and The Autumn of the Ace) - three great books with a stellar lineage. 

And kudos to Robbie Arnott as his book Limberlost is just wonderful. 

5. What did you do on your birthday and how old were you? Did you feel differently? 

I went out for lunch at a favourite French restaurant with some friends for my birthday. I'm 55. I feel a lot younger. 

6. What political or social issue stirred you the most? 

There were a lot of things that got to me this year. That we had a referendum for the rights of aboriginals earlier this year that didn't get through has made me look at Australia and wonder how we could do things better. It was, frankly, an embarrassment - and the rejection of the law change made us look like red-neck bigoted hicks. 

The revolting treatment of women continues in this country. Around 60 women have died at the hands of their partners this year alone - and the media coverage is woeful. Add to this the outrageous defamation case going on in our courts, again, where a rape victim had to go through days of excoriating cross-examination - yeah, it goes on, and I hate it. 

And don't get me started on the abortion debate in America. Just awful, backwards and a complete walk over of women's rights. 

7. Who was the most interesting new person you met?

I can't give one person, but I met some fantastic people in France. Sonia the Map Maker and Liz and Tom at the Hotel de l'Orange spring to mind. Fantastic people. Interesting and quirky. Just my types of people. 

8. What changed in your home? 

Nothing. It's still untidy and covered in cat hair. 

9. What have you learned throughout the year? (Other than crafts)  Can be a new skill or a life lesson.

I learned lots of things. I learned that I'm good at regulating myself around other people. That I can travel with people and not go spare. 

10. What was your favourite outfit for warm weather? Cooler weather?  what do you wear when you dress up? Any new clothes or accessories you really love?

We're going into high summer and our winters aren't that cold. I have lots of winter clothes that I love wearing. I tend to dress up basics with scarfs and team them with boots. I have a navy linen dress I bought secondhand which I love. It's airy and comfortable. That and my new cherry earrings. 

11. Did you make or give up on any efforts to be healthier? Diet, water, exercise etc?

Yes. I spent six months talking to a dietician on a weekly basis. It's been very helpful. 

12. Fave meals, snacks, desserts, restaurants etc? Eat out or eat in?

I've just got home from a meal out with friends at my favourite Vietnamese place down the road. As it it Christmas tomorrow, I will have some cassata and sausage rolls, which are now prepped and sitting in the fridge for cooking tomorrow. 

13. Did you learn any new crafts or techniques? What was your favourite thing you made? 

No new techniques, but I knitted a lovely long cable scarf and a number of beanies over the year. 

14. What are your hopes and dreams for the new year?  (Some suggestions-family, travel, work, lifestyle, hobbies, pets, appearance)

World peace. I want to stay happily and actively employed. I want to have visitors to my house on a semi-regular basis. And I want to write that bloody novel. 

15. What was the best new/new-to-you thing you a) bought b) made c) acquired in some other way?

Best new to me thing - my navy linen dress. it's lovely. 

Best thing I made - gotta say, the rum balls I made for the neighbours were wonderful. 

Best thing acquired in some other way - The cat downstairs, who has always given me a wide berth is finally allowing me to give him a pat. So I've got a bit of cat love that I've been missing out on for four years. (His sister has been falling at my feet for years). 

Today's song:

3 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

Politics in the US (gun control - or lack of same; abortion rights - or lack of same in a wide swath of the US) are troubling. So is the ability to disseminate lies at will, which fans of the 45th president (and possibly also the 47th president, I'm afraid) spew

Lisa said...

I should have listed Demon Copperhead in my list of books this year. It was a powerful book. At times I wanted to give up and not finish, but I'm so glad I continued to the end.
Lucifer is a great name for an animal . . .I'm assuming a cat?

Kwizgiver said...

I need to look back at my reading for the year to remember my favorites.