Saturday, May 4, 2024

Sunday Stealing: Miscellaneous

I'm just back after a day of roaming around the bayside suburbs of Melbourne. My hair colour around my temples has been freshened up and I'm waiting for a mate to come over for dinner. In many ways, a successful day. 

And now, I'll get the Sunday questions done and out of the way for the week, while I wait for my friend to turn up. I'm looking forward to a meal at my favourite Chinese/Vietmamese place down the road. 

Questions, as always, come from Bev at Sunday Stealing.   

1. Who is your best friend and why? What do you like to do together?

I can't say that I have a best friend, but I do have a close circle of friends - Jonella and Blarney being the main two - they're listed as my In Case of Emergency people. We drink a lot of tea together while putting the world to rights. 

2. What is your town like? What are your favorite places to go?

What is Melbourne, Australia like. Well, it's a multicultural city of about five million people, with great coffee and food, trams, cultural events and Australian Rules Football. I love going to the National Gallery of Victoria - which is excellent, any of the many theatres, and one of so many restaurants it's not funny. Oh, and drive an hour of the city and you're in picturesque hills and forests. It's a great place. 

3. What is your favorite meal? Where and when do you eat it?

Mum's roast lamb with all the trimmings - but I only ever get it at Mum's place. 

4. What is your job like? What do you like about it?

My job, at the moment, is very busy and pretty stressful. I write for a living, working for big companies. I've done it for a long time, but it's when the projects get like this that things get a bit hairy. It is always interesting and I'm doing a lot of travel at the moment, which I am also enjoying. Great people, interesting work. What more do you need. 

5. What is your favorite place to go on vacation?

I love going to Europe. I like hanging about with old stuff. The only thing it does do is makes me want to stay though. For a toes up holiday where I do nothing, then it's Bali or Thailand, places not too far away. And I really want to go to Japan and Cambodia in the not-too-distant future. For a driving holiday, nothing beats the South Island of New Zealand. 

6. What country would you like to visit one day?

In no apparent order: 

  • Japan
  • Cambodia
  • Canada
  • Belgium
  • The Scandinavian Countries
  • Tanzania (or more to the point, Zanzibar)

7. What bores you the most?

Umm, that would be tennis. I've got no interest in it at all in the game. Melbourne hosts the Australian Open every year. Sorry, no interest at all. 

8. What are you looking forward to this summer?

I'm in Australia. Summer is not for another seven months. I'm just loving autumn (fall) and looking forward to Winter, which is my favourite season. I love rugging up and open fires and rain. 

9. What is your favorite film?

I haven't seen it for a while, but I adore Three Colours: Blue - a French film which was made in the nineties. French cinema at its best. 


For something more mainstream, I still get a kick out of When Harry Met Sally, Atonement and The Shawshank Redemption

And what is my favourite movies I've seen in the last twelve months. Take your pick from Monkey Man, 

Poor Things and Past Lives. 

10. Do you sing in the shower?

Sometimes. If I do, it's normally songs from the seventies and eighties. 

11. What is the best gift you’ve ever received?

I'm always grateful when I receive a gift. Of late, I've had a couple of mates buy me dinner at some lovely establishments. Feed me and I am very happy. 

12. Do you prefer being indoors or outdoors? 

I like both. When I'm inside, I want to be outside, and vice versa. It depends on what the weather is doing. 

13. When was the last time you cried, and why?

I was watching a movie, The Great Escaper a few weeks ago. It was a very touching movie. What got me more is knowing that it's probably going to be one of Michael Caine's last movies. After all, he is in his 90s. (Glenda Jackson was in this as well - it was her last film - she was very frail in this - it's life, but it cut to the core.)

14. What do you keep in your bag or handbag?

In my green Uniqlo banana bag you will find: 

  • My phone
  • My wallet
  • A lipstick or three
  • A lip balm
  • My house keys
  • Often a phone charger
  • Sometimes my ear buds
  • And occasionally my Myki (Melbourne public transport card)
  • Oh, and a map of the Paris Metro and some Parisian business cards. 

15. Can you play a musical instrument?

Sort of. I learned the flute at school. I haven't played it in years, but I'm sure I can get a tune out of it. 

Today's Song:

2 comments:

Bev Sykes said...

I love roast lamb too. And I find tennis more interesting than golf, but just barely.

Roger Owen Green said...

I realize I haven't had roast lamb for a good while. Lamb saag at the Indian takeout place, or lamb and rice from the pizza place, but now I need to search out ROAST LAMB.

I liked a LOT of the movies from last year, including Poor Things.