Monday, May 6, 2024

Two Friends Gone

 I learned of the passing of two friends today - feline friends. Feline friends of friends.

And I felt the fear that every pet owner faces at times. What are you going to feel when your little mate goes. 

I still think regularly about Maow Maow, Blarney and Barney's cat, who crossed to the other side in 2020. He was my best mate. We loved each other, even if he belonged to my friends. I got to see him the day before he went, a shadow of his former self - riddled with kidney disease, he'd lost over half his body weight. He was no longer my fat boy. But I got to say goodbye, give him a cuddle, tell him all the things I wanted to tell him, and to wish him well. 

As sad as it was, I got a little bit of closure. 

My friends weren't quite as lucky. 

The first fellow to go was Jack, my friends old white boy. They found each other about six years ago. When my friend took him in, she was told he didn't have long. Indeed, six years on, he saw her through many trying times. 

My friend went out for a bit in the afternoon and came back to find him dead on the bed. In many ways, a perfect ending. He wasn't sick, he wasn't suffering. He just went. 

An hour later, I was reading about the demise of my friend Shadow. My friend adopted two black kittens during COVID. One had one eye (Wink). The other kitten had two perfectly good eyes. That was Shadow. They were wonderful. Hilarious. Spunky, funny slinky black cats. 

Unfortunately, cats don't have much road sense and Shadow fell victim to a hit and run. Thankfully, despite best efforts, he didn't suffer either. 

My friends are devastated. 

I'm grieving with my friends, as I hate to think what it will be like if Lucifer was to go quickly, like that, particularly like Shadow, who went well before his time. 

Needless to say, somebody is getting a bit more attention than usual. He needs to be cherished. 

We don't get them for long, and we don't know for how long we have our little friends. 


Today's song: 

No comments: