Saturday, July 20, 2024

Batchelor

I am travelling with my workmate this weekend, who I’m going to call, EH. 


We’ve been planning this trip for a month as we are travelling for the next two days, saying “my colleague ,my colleague “ over time will get repetitive. Therefore, I am breaking my strict rule of not mentioning  colleagues by name. EH often reads this blog, so he’ll hopefully be cool with this. 


Anyway, I am currently in what feels like a converted shipping container, which probably was converted in around 1973, lying under what can only be described as polycotton sheets, which are a fetching shade of elephant shit brown.


I’m located about 10 km from the township of Batchelor. There is next to no Internet which means I’m writing this on my notepad and I’ll put it into the block tomorrow morning when I’m on the road and there is Internet again.


Going bush reminds you of how reliant you are on the Internet.


Then again, we have come all this way only need to find one of the biggest computer crashes has occurred. After picking up the car we tried to find supplies. We took our trusty Toyota Rav-4 down the track (the Stuart Highway) stopping off at a shopping centre on the edge of Darwin. There was a big Coles there. Only to find nearly everything shut. The computer shut down had completely decimated the place. Not so strangely, the bottle shop was open where we could get some water, paid by cash of course. There was also a Thai. Food place open. It was a very good decision to grab some food there. It was alright. Not the pub dinner I was expecting.


Bachelor is an interesting place. EH and I reckon it is the town in which Wolf Creek was based. We turned up at my camping ground just before eight the fellow was quite adamant that he texted me asking where I was the only thing is that the Internet, being so patchy on the track, meant I didn’t get his message. Regardless, I was settled  into my little cabin, with its own bathroom. Despite the 1970s decor and the ageing fittings, the place was spotlessly clean and the shower was really good. I can’t complain.


EH was staying in another part of town, at another holiday park. His reception was far scarier than mine. He picked me up at seven this morning, and looked a little rattled.


But I’m not sure about the point of this, other than to say that I want to say, other than I am on a road trip with a colleague, and we’re having a really great time. I’ll post the highlights in my next blog post.


By then, the duelling banjos might have stopped in my head.


Today’s song:




No comments: