Monday, July 22, 2024

I cannot be the only one…

 … Who doesn’t give two hoots the Olympics.

Is this unpatriotic?

Is this Un Australian?

Is this a character flaw?

I have a funny feeling. I’ll be watching a lot of Netflix over the next couple of weeks.

And it’s not that I don’t wonder at the scale of the people participating. What some of these people do is amazing, however, I have the following issues with the Olympics, particularly from an Australian perspective.

Firstly, so much money gets put into getting our team to wherever they’re going, to win medals. That money could be put too much better things. Australia is always seen to be punching above its weight, but participation Getting people prepared for the Olympics that of Russia or China. Think about it.

Secondly, I don’t like that. You only see snippets of everything. It used to be that you could watch all of the swimming, or all of the dressage etc etc. Now you’re just getting into it and it changes onto something that you don’t want to watch on the telly. 

Sod that.

Thirdly, get pissed off with this fixation medals. Isn’t the Olympics about participation, As an amateur, in your favourite sport? Why is obtaining medals so freaking important. 

This is not to detract from other people getting enjoyment from the Olympics. I'm sure if they had channels for just diving gymnastics and dressage I'd happily watch along. I find athletics and swimming rather boring - I mean, just running around a track or doing laps really fast,

I have a friend heading to Paris to support one of our marathon runners. Good on her, I say. I believe her friend is in with a change of a medal. I understand what it is to support your friends.

But I will be watching a lot of Netflix over the next few weeks. It's unpatriotic and un-Australian, but it's how I feel. 

Today's song:





No comments: