Wednesday, July 24, 2024

Casting

 I'm just out of my book group. This is not as hard as you think, as we hold our book group online. Instead of an 8 pm start, here in Darwin, it's a 7.30 kick off. It also means that I had to get my swim in early and forage for dinner from the leftovers in my fridge and have a gin and tonic ready. Easy. 

The book was Sarah Winman's Still Life. This was one of my favourite books read last year and it was a pleasure to read it again. The novel tells of the unlikely friendship between a soldier, Ulysses Temper, and a septuagenarian art critic, Evelyn Skinner, who meet in World War II and who have a huge impact on each other. Life goes on, Ulysses moves to Florence, taking in tow his old friends from the pub in which he used to live in London's East End, as well as the eight-year-old daughter of his ex-wife. 

The book takes in the period from 1944 to 1979, with a small foray back to Florence at the turn of the 20th century. It's historically pretty accurate. 

It's also ostensibly a queer book. Sarah Winman is gay, and there are a number of gay, lesbian and queer characters throughout the book, which, for the late 50s was almost unheard of. Still Life is a book of quirky characters that speaks of love, friendship, family and the ties that bind us. 

Oh, and there is a parrot named Claude. Loved Claude. 

One of the questions we were asked is, if we were to cast a movie or mini-series of this book, who would you cast. 

For me, it was a bit easy. 

For the slightly conflicted good guy, Ulysses, that has to go to James Norton. He does a good conflicted good guy with a bit of a past.

For 'The Kid', I reckon Millie Bobbie Brown would be good. She's do a great arty waif, that Alice turns out to be. She could use her native accent. 


In the roles of Cress and Col, two guys from the East End pub who are integral to Ulysses and his life in Florence, we're looking for an older actor with a bit of life who can then be aged. I'm thinking Daniel Craig or Hugh Grant. Hugh Grant does a great Cockney accent, and Daniel Craig has the range. I see him more as the faithful Cress. Cress has a sense of humour. 

For Peg, I'm seeing a Michelle Dockery. She can sing. And she can be tough. but vulnerable - and Peg needs that. 


Oh, and Evelyn - we'll give that to Olivia Colman. I reckon she could do her justice. If not, Celia Imrie.

I love to cast movies in my head. Get the right cast and this could be a ripper of a film or mini-series. 

Today's song:



No comments: