Saturday, October 12, 2024

Theatre Review: Six

The Production: Six (the Musical)

The Theatre: The Comedy Theatre, Exhibition Street

Until 20 October. 

Stars: 4

I'm not into musicals, but some are better than others. Give me a musical with an edge, like Chicago or Rocky Horror and I'm happy. I'm also good with the less well-known musicals, like Fun Home, or The Heartbreak Choir, and I'm happy. Anything by Andrew Lloyd Webber, or the remaking of a Disney Classic and I'll run for the hills. 

 When I first was told about Six, I said you wouldn't get me there if you paid me, but a friend got me at a weak moment a few months ago. I said yes, the rather expensive ticket was purchased, and we went today. 

And I was pleasantly surprised. I don't need to go see it again, but I found Six to be an enjoyable experience. Even better, it's over quickly (75 minutes), so I cannot complain at all.  But if you think about it, each wife gets her own song, and there's a couple of ensemble songs - you can't drag it out for two long.  


The show is about female empowerment and agency. Something Henry VIII's wives did not have. So, the cast have taken on Catherine of Aragon (Divorced), Anne Boleyn (Beheaded), Jane Seymour (Died), Anne of Cleves (Divorced), Katherine Howard (Beheaded) and Katherine Parr (Survived) and made them their own, giving a new focus to their stories. 

Not only do I have a dislike for musicals. I have an absolute love of anything Tudor. Henry VIII, his wives and the general goings on at the court of the time is fascinating. It was good to see that within the cracks and the songs, most of the history was well respected. The show got marks for this. 

The singing, the music and the band were excellent as well. There were no standout performances - the whole cast was good. 

And this is an all-female production. The band were very talented women. We were sitting next to the sound booth - it was tended to by a woman, not your normal sound engineer with a ponytail, a hoodie and neck tattoos. (And probably named Dave.)

The full auditorium lapped up the show. 

For this musical-sceptic audience member, I was pleasantly surprised. What impressed me most was that Toby Marlow and Lucy Moss have interpreted this well-known piece of history and made it fun. 

But I don't need to see it again. 

Today's song:

No comments: