Sunday, March 14, 2010

Sometimes You Surprise Yourself

If you asked me at 9 am this morning if I wanted to do this Run for the Kids - it was a resounding no. Here I was, go-faster-red singlet and hat on, number on my belly, bum bag strapped around my waist - I just wanted to go home.The race wasn't particularly well organised, the start was late, ther were no signs showing where the toilets and bag storage were, there were people everywhere - one creepy guy just stood there and stared at my chest - I wanted to deck him (moved away instead, quickly, losing him in the crowd), my hip was feeling funny, it sorta felt like I had the starts of a cold.... grumble, grumble, groan, groan.

An hour and 53 minutes and 14.3 kilometres (nine miles) later, through the Domain Tunnel, over the Bolte Bridge, through the Docklands, I made it through the finish line. Ran probably 75% of it. The sun was my main enemy - it felt like I was running in 35 degree heat again and I deliberately walked for bits I know I could have run for fear of frying and sunstroke. I was stoked! My legs held up well and my breathing was doing fantastic. I'm really quite proud of myself.

But I did it - and strangely, other than a blister on one toe and a bit of tiredness, I feel wonderful. This seems to have been the best antidote for the crappy mood I've been in.

After the run, I met up with a couple of girls from the Biggest Loser Club. These women are my inspiration. Being a member of the site for two years now they've seen me lose over 20 kg. The great thing is, as they have the same battles as you, they know what you're going through. The folks on the forums are the best. So Jo and Suze, thanks for the support. It was great to put names to faces.

Off to Kabbalah now - it's only an hour an a half. I can cope. Still running on the endorphins of this morning.

Kilometres walked since 29 January: 136 km
Kilometres run since 29 January: 84 km
Currently reading: Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro, Ultramarathon Man by Dean Karnazes
Weight lost since 29 Jan: 1.6 kg

2 comments:

Kath Lockett said...

Well done!

Sapph and I were in the city today (not being as virtuous as you - having a drink and some choccies at Chokolait and searching for fabrics for her room) and we saw heaps of runners, walkers etc wandering around.

Pandora Behr said...

Ah, Chokolait chilli hot chocolates (set to number 7) Ah, bliss. Can't wait until March is over. With 30,000 runners on the track it's not surprising you saw us.