Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Goodbye 2014

I've done this particular questionnaire on the last day of the year for the last few years. As I've succumbed to some lurgy, been up half the night coughing, I think this is a good, easy thing to do on a New Year's Eve - along with giving the cupboards a clean out and make a start on the jumper I'd like to finish by the time I start uni in March.

It's been an interesting year in many ways - and I'm hopeful that 2015 will be brilliant.

So here we go.

1.What did you do in 2014 that you’d never done before?

I started a Masters degree in September. Never done that before. I also taught myself how to knit cable - something that's elude me for over forty years. That's a real achievement.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

I just had a look at what I said at the start of the year and I didn't do too badly. I've managed to keep gainfully employed, remained fit and healthy, have quite a lot of fun and get writing again. I'm not despairing too much about "failing" at keeping my resolutions, but I've started to take measures to get a few more of them off the ground in the near future.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

No. My cousin had a son earlier in the year, but we're not close.

4. Did anyone close to you die?

Thankfully no. However, it took a while to come to terms with the passing of Philip Seymour Hoffman and Robin Williams. Both went too soon.

5. What countries did you visit?

Just Indonesia - Bali to be specific. Tasmania is not a country, but it feels like another country in some ways.

6. What would you like to have in 2015 that you lacked in 2014?

A bit of job longevity in great places - rather than bitty work. I managed to work 48 weeks of the year  - it was just that it was all over the place which made things feel not to secure. I'm a contractor - you live with it, but I'm really hoping for some well paying, longer term contracts this year - and I really don't want to go back to one company that I spent a bit of time at this year. There are opportunities to be found - lets hope they come in quickly.

7. What dates from 2014 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

June 21st. Went with a group to see the Rocky Horror Picture Show with a group of friends. Magic evening. I don't think I've laughed so much in years.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

I reckon receiving a distinction for my first subject back at Uni was pretty special. Not going nuts at one particular job was another.

9. What was your biggest failure?

I don't see things that you fail to do as failures, but learning opportunities. I can't think of anything other than not losing weight - but I'm okay with that.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

I've had a couple of buts of rather nasty colds and flu. One bout of the proper flu in June, something akin to pleurisy in September and a few rounds of the sniffles. My left shoulder (anterior deltoid) has been pinged for a few weeks, but it's just a ping thank goodness. Will hopefully be right next week.

11. What was the best thing you bought?

Comfortable heels. Audrey Hepburn gave some advice once about heels - buy they half a size too big - they will wear better and be far more comfortable. As a standard ladies 8.5, it was a bit confronting buying size 9 shoes. I found a pair of block heels on sale. Some of the most comfortable heels I've ever owned.



 12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?

Hmmm. A hard one that one. I'm giving this one to Julian Burnside QC for standing up for the oppressed and disenfranchised.

Rosie Batty is an amazing woman too - standing up for abused women everywhere. She's an enigma.

13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?

Pretty much all of the Australian Federal Government - atrocious mob of luddite, pork-barreling leaners if there every was  mob. Awful people.

Rupert Murdoch gets a mention for still breathing as well.

14. Where did most of your money go?

Rent, tuition, going out, gym and shoes.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?

I remember getting really excited about going to Rocky Horror Picture Show. I was excite about going to Bali in February. Every time Maow Moaw comes to stay I always get excited because I love having him around. He's asleep on the bed at the moment.

16. What song will always remind you of 2014?

There are two songs that resonate from this year.

This one:

Then there is my current theme song. I like this because of it's message:


And ear worm of the year goes to: (I hate hip hop which makes this worse)


17. Compared to this time last year, are you: (a) happier or sadder? (b) thinner or fatter? (c) richer or poorer?

(a) Happier
(b) About the same
(c) Richer in many ways.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?

Tried to run, exercised, read, kissed, slept.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?

Stuck around in jobs I really didn't like that much. Put off going to the doctor about the hot flushes (The Pill really is a wonder drug)

20. How will you spend New Year's Eve?

At home on the couch with the cat after an early evening movie. Most of my mates have gone away. Besides, I have the snuffles, not worth running around. Just want to keep quiet.

21. Did you fall in love in 2014?

Not so much fell in love, but had that love reciprocated. 2015 could turn out to be an incredible year. I'm not giving details. Just have to wait to see what happens.

22. What was your favourite TV program?

Two stand outs. The second series of The Hour. Sat and cried over Freddie at the end of the series.
Many a hot evening was spent drooling over Dr Blake with a large gin and tonic in my hand. Like most perimenopausal women in their forties, Friday night was gin and tonic and Dr Blake. Phwoar! Seriously, who ever would have pegged Craig McLaughlan as a sex symbol?

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?

I don't hate people. However, I seriously dislike:

Most of the Australian Federal Parliament Cabinet for being delusional fascists
James Hird for being a complete tosser (FFS resign already and go away)
One nameless boss who gave me the complete irrits - this person was more a major irritation

24. What was the best book you read?

Two books stand out. Richard Flanagan's "The Narrow Road to the Deep North." Read it back to back. Incredible.

A mention has to go to Hannah Kent's "Burial Rites". The book started me on the master's journey - if this skinny little upstart for Adelaide can write something so amazing, so can I!


25. What was your greatest musical discovery?

My discovery was more of a rediscovery. I have to thank Steve Coogan for putting me back onto Alanis Morrisette after over a decade. (See Trip to Italy - you will understand)

26. What did you want and get?

A job that I really like after a lot of searching.
Made a few new friends
Kept my sanity for the most part.

27. What did you want and not get?

To be a size 14 on the top. Maybe this year.

28. What was your favourite film of this year?

I saw 30 films this year. The top five were:

1. The Grand Budapest Hotel - piss funny
2. Pride - English cinema at it's best
3. Calvary - Thought about that one for weeks - Brendan Gleeson for Best Actor
4.The Secret Life of Walter Mitty - Just joyful
5: Boyhood - Long, but worth it

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?

On my actual birthday I went to book group. My parents were in town on the weekend before and we went with a couple of friends for a dinner in Kyneton - excellent day. I turned thirty-eleventy something.

30. What one thing made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

Study and love.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2014?

Black, more black, with a bit of silver for good measure. If not black, navy - I am from Adelaide after all.
Oh, and where thongs (flip flops /jandles - what ever you want to call them) as much as possible.
In winter, chunky boots.

32. What kept you sane?

Friends, reading, cinema, exercise and my pill. They will be wrenching my oestrogen from my cold dead hands in years to come. A revelation.

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

My heart still belongs to Clive Owen, though Craig McLachlan is getting up there now, but only when decked out at Dr Blake.

34. What political issue stirred you the most?

Pretty much everything our current Federal Government did got my back up. The publicity around banning the burqa in Parliament House and the mistreatment of ordinary people who wear burqas really made my blood boil. Do I understand why a woman would want to cover her face or wear a veil - no, I don't but it's not my business what anybody wears. Do I give two hoots if they do - absolutely not. The Liberal Coalition dog whistling to the unwashed throng once gain. I really dislike how they stir up dissent and hate by picking on minorities.

35. Who did you miss?

Julia Gillard as Prime Minister. Wayne Swan as Treasurer... I miss having a sane government - one that's not working for big business and has more than the interest of a few in their sights.

36. Who was the best new person you met?

During winter I had a job at a Telecommunications Company. My team were superb. Davey and Kaz were two of the best colleagues I've ever had - the job was stressful, harsh and pressurised, but these two made going to work a joy. We're still in contact.

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2014.

Looking for the good makes things a hell of a lot better - always.
And sometimes you have to let people go - they might come back, they might not.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.

You didn't run, you didn't lie
You knew I wanted just to hold you
And had you gone you knew in time we'd meet again

For I had told you.

(Got to get you into my life, The Beatles)

Have a great new year. All the very best for 2015. Keep safe. Be happy.

2 comments:

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Pand,

Hope you have a great 2015.

:o)

Cheers

PM

Jackie K said...

Sounds like a pretty good year. Congrats on the cable thing - not being a knitter I had no idea what a big deal that was ;)
YES on Julian Burnside and Rosie Batty - both amazing.
I really like Sia but I HAAATE that Chandelier song.
All About That Bass: yep, song of the year. And I love Iggy Azaleia and Fancy I have to say!
May the good stuff continue into 2015 x