A Christmas blog.
I'm not a Christian. Hmmm.... Questions, as always, from Sunday Stealing.
1. Do you send Christmas cards?
No - though I send the odd seasonal email.
2. How soon do you start shopping?
Depends - normally early December, but I've been known to pick up things in the months before if something takes my fancy.
3. Who do you shop for?
Store vouchers normally.
4. Do you put up a Christmas tree?
5. If so, is it fake or real?
Real ones are great, but they're not that environmentally friendly. Actually, Christmas isn't that environmentally friendly when you think about it.
6. Do you like tinsel?
Horrid stuff, but it makes cat's poo look pretty.
7. Do you use homemade or store bought ornaments?
Moot point - don't have a tree.
8. Do you put Christmas lights outside your house?
No. That would scare the possum out front.
9. Do you put lights on the tree?
Don't have a tree. Waste of electricity.
10. How about popcorn and cranberries?
Why would you do that?
11. Is there a wreath hanging on your door?:
Hmmm - seeing a theme yet? No.
13. Do you hang up your stocking?
I don't wear stockings, they give you candida - why would you want an itchy crotch at Christmas. Nope. Besides, don't you normally hang stockings in the shower after you've washed them?
14. Does your family read "Twas the night before Christmas?"
No. However I know most of this by rote after learning it as a child.
15. Christmas Movie?
Best Christmas movie ever - Die Hard.
16. Character from any Christmas Movie?
17. Christmas Song?
I tend to run out of stores that play Christmas carols too early (like before December) But the powers that be had a magic choir do this one in the atrium at work the other day and it filled the building with lovely music. Still love Martin Crane's version of it too.
18. Christmas Memory:
I've got some good Christmas memories of Christmas's spent with friends. The one spent with Lachlan was a good one.
19. Give or Receive?
22. Ham or Turkey?
I don't really eat that much pig - and turkey is normally dry. I like the Australian tradition of seafood and salad.
24. White Lights or Colored Lights?
Does it make a difference?
25. Blinking Lights or Still Lights?
Seriously, these things matter?
26. Were you Naughty or Nice this year?
A bit of both.
27. What do you want for Christmas this year?
A new Federal Government and for the untimely downfall and demise of Rupert Murdoch.
28. When do you open your gifts?
29. What's the best gift you've ever gotten?
The trampoline we got when we were kids was pretty good.
30. What's the worst gift you've ever gotten?
Oh, that cushion. A workmate once gave me a bottle green cushion with a picture of kittens and puppies with Christmas hats on it - truly dire. I accepted it graciously as it's the thought that counts - it then was placed under the blanket on the couch.
31. Who gives you the most gifts?
My friends are pretty generous. We give experiences now/
32. Have you ever had a secret Santa?
Only the ones at work and the one we have at Christmas in July - you normally score something good out of that one.
33. Do you like wrapping gifts?
Not really waste of paper.
34. Do you put change in those red buckets?
This must be an American thing - I do try and give to charity over the season.
35. Do you burn a yule log?
It's the middle of summer - having the heater on is the last thing I have in mind. Besides, my flat doesn't have a fire place.
36. Can you name all the reindeer?
Dasher, Dancer, Prancer Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner, Blitzen and Rudolph.
37. Do you bake cookies?
No, but I made Christmas Apricot Jam this year for all my friends.
38. Have you ever seen your mommy kissing Santa Clause?
39. Have you ever gotten a kiss under the mistletoe?
No, don't even know what Mistletoe looks like - it's not an Australian plant.
41. Do you drive around and look at the Christmas lights?
I've got better things to do with my time.
42. Have you ever left Santa cookies?
As a child, we used to leave out Father Christmas a beer, a mince pie and a carrot for the reindeer. Then When I got told that Father Christmas wasn't real (Thanks Karen Hawkes, the Jehovah's Witness who lived down the road - I was five... thank you for shattering my innocence.) I worked out that Father Christmas had my father's dentures.
43. Have you ever sat on Santa's lap?
Only as a child.
44. Who do you celebrate Christmas with?
This year I'm heading to Tasmania to spend Christmas with Blarney, Barney and Barney's folks - they've adopted me in this year. Should be great - I've never been to Northern Tasmania before.
45. Where do you celebrate Christmas?
Normally with friends in Melbourne, unless I go away. One of the best Christmases I ever had was in Thailand. On Christmas Day we went riding elephants. That was cool.
46. Have you ever had a white Christmas?
No, but I nearly had one. I spent eight Christmases in England - Christmas is so much better in Winter.
47. What part of Christmas do you look most forward to?
When it's over.
48. Have you ever had your picture taken with Santa?
Only as a child and that was like 40 years ago.
Sorry - as a non Christian, Christmas irritates me a lot.