Sunday, February 28, 2021

Senior Life

 I'm writing this from a Writer's Retreat down the Great Ocean Road. 


Sunrise, this morning.


I have been skinny dipping this morning. 



It's just an amazing weekend, and with all this COVID madness, it is wonderful to be away from the city and entrenched with around 30 other like-minded souls. 

It's just ben fantastic. 

Questions, as always, provided by Bev at Sunday Stealing

1. What is the farthest you have ever traveled?

I had to look this up - but it's a pretty even toss, distance wise, from Melbourne to Boston, and Melbourne to Galway in Ireland. I've been around the world, normally making multiple stops on those trips, but the furthest I've been from home is a toss up between those two places. 

2. Who did you date while in high school?

Oh gawd. He was gangly, he was spotty and he had greasy hair, but he was smart. His name was Simon. He was in the year about. That's all you need to know. 

3. What is one of the worst trips you've ever taken? What went wrong?

I haven't really taken bad trips. I did spend a few nights with some friends when I first went ot Greece in 1999. We had different agendas and budgets. It wasn't meant to be. We camped for a night. I don't camp. I was happy to go in a different direction to then. The trip got good after that. 

4. How do you like to spend a lazy day?

Oh, that is spent reading and watching telly from the couch, preferably with the heater on on a cold day with take out for dinner. Days like that are great.

5. How old were you when you found out that JFK had been assassinated? How did it affect you?

Umm, JFK died five years before I was born, so I think when I first learned about him when I was say ten or twelve (remember, I'm Australian - US Politics - who cares) that he had been assassinated and was dead was about the second thing you learn about him. 

6. Who has been one of the most important people in your life?

My Uncle John - who passed away in the middle of last year. He was my substitute Dad when I was growing up. I went and saw his daughter on Friday on my way down here. She's family. 

7. What is one trait you would most like to improve in yourself?

I'd love to have a bit more self-control when it comes to food. And making myself write. 

8. Did you date someone in college?

No. At uni, as we call it, I was single. I lived on campus so everything was done as a group at the time. I met somebody in my last year, but didn't see him properly until a year after that. 

9. What was your dream car?

I'd love a sporty Mercedes convertable - preferably an early model. They are just wonderful. My current car is my favourite car to date - a Mazda CX-3. It's sporty, not too big and I love the rear reversing camera. 

10. Did you have a family member you wish you'd gotten to know better?

I would have loved to know my paternal grandfather better. He died when I was about eight - and there are a lot of questions I would love to get some honest answers about. There is a lot about that side of the family which is swept under the carpet. 

11. Tell me about your greatest gardening success.   

The fact that I keep a pot plant alive on my kitchen windowsill can be classed as a gardening success. I hate gardening. 

12. What was your Dad like when you were a child?

My Dad changed when I was eight. He had an operation on his heart, died on the table and came back different. Before this, I remember him being a loving father who was jovial with many friends. After the operation he was different - and I don't need to talk about that at the moment. 

13. What is the best job you've ever had?

I had a job as an instructional designer for a power company. I got to run my own show for six months. Great people. It came after a period of instability, so it was great in may ways. 

14. What are your favorite songs?

I have too many favourite songs, this is my most favourite song ever. 


Nobody out of Australia knows it. I've got very eclectic tastes in music. The song of the day will prove that. 

15. If you could choose any talents to have, what would they be?

I would love to be able to sing and play the piano. I have very limited ability in both. 


Today's Song:



2 comments:

Susan said...

Nice that got to travel to Boston and Ireland. I am in a crafting group and take "virtual" trips. January was Australia, February New Orleans and March will be Ireland. Hope you had fun skinny dipping!

Plastic Mancunian said...

We've both travelled a lot - I really miss it but things are starting to look up.

Nope - you are right about Australian Crawl's Reckless.

It's not a bad song - a little bluesy (I like bluesy songs).

:o)

Cheers

PM