Sunday, January 2, 2022

Movie Review: Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Film Number 1 for 2022

The Film: Ghostbusters: Afterlife

The Cinema: Hoyts Victoria Gardens

Stars: 4

I can't be the only person who passes a Staffy dog in the streets and mutter under my breath, "I am Zool. I am the gatekeeper." Surely not...

I heard quoted the other day that nostalgia was an aching for the past - so I'm not sure whether I took myself off to see Ghostbusters: Afterlife because I wanted to be reminded how old I am, or just for an escape from the ambient heat. Regardless, I'm glad I did go. Ghostbusters: Afterlife has a bit of everything - it satifies those of us who saw the original Ghostbusters when we were teenagers, with improved CGI, a decent story and a heap of nostalgic moments which brings this all together. 

The original Ghostbusters came out when I was fifteen. I have always loved that film - I'll watch it when it's replayed on telly. It's great fun. 

The reboot that came out in 2016 with Kristen Wiig, Melissa McCartney, Leslie Jones and Kate McKinnon was enjoyable - although a little contentious. I know I liked it. 

But I liked this more - mainly for the nostalgic references which came through during the film. 

The plot of the film is simple. 35 year on from the original, one of the Ghostbusters dies, and his daughter, Callie (Carrie Coon) and her children Trevor (Finn Wolfhart) and Phoebe (Mckenna Grace) reluctantly move into her estranged father's home. Phoebe, the stereotypical nerdy kid, begins to discover that there is more going on in their sleepy Oklahoma town than meets the eye. Add into the mix Paul Rudd as Phoebe's reluctant school teacher and a few ghosts and the fun begins. 

There are lots of elements of the original film in here. ECTO-1, the refurbished ambulance, resurfaces, the Stay Puffed Marshmallow man is reincarnated. And there are all of these subtle, and not so subtle nods to the original film. I loved that the original team all show up during the film, including Harold Ramis - who died in 2014 - his imposed likeness on the screen made me well up. the film also keeps open the possiblility there will be another movie in the future.

For all this nostalgia, it is a bit cheesy, but not overly so. The improved CGI is fantastic  - I remember when the original film came out and the effects were cutting edge then - these effects are fantastic. 

The standout performance for me was Mckenna Grace, who was great as Phoebe, the misfit grand-daughter with a legacy and a mission. Carrie Coon and Finn Wolfhart are great too. I loved Phoebe's sidekick mate, Podcast (Logan Kim), and Paul Rudd played Paul Rudd (He really is like Bill Nighy - he has a type and can only play that type - and like Bill Nighy, he doesn't age either.). Olivia Wilde's uncredited appearance as Gozer (the baddie) was great too - kept you guessing as to if it was really her. 

But for me, the best thing about this film was all of the references to the original film. It was very, very cool. Sure, it's not the strongest of films, but this was an enjoyble way to spend New Year's Day. 

Today's song: 

No comments: