Wednesday, June 1, 2022

Dressing Up

 It's struck me that this week I'll be dressing up more than I have in the last two years. This going out thing feels weird - it still feels foreign. 

So tomorrow night, it's out to dinner. My boss is down from Sydney and she's offered to buy dinner. The restaurant mentioned is one friends have raved about. (Tonka)  So after work I'll have a rest, make sure the cat is fed, then head into town at 7.30 (Booking isn't until 8 pm - the boss isn't getting in to Melbourne until 5)

But this means dressing up, doing my hair, putting on some make up, and wearing shoes that aren't runners or Doc Martens. I'm not sure what my feet are going to say about that. 

And if I'm being practical, (and careful) I can wear the same thing to breakfast in Caulfield with an old work husband and then on tomy friend's Mum's funeral on Friday morning....

What gets me is that for the last two years I've lived in cheap jeans, leggings, ugg boots or Birkenstocks, t-shirts and sundresses. My hair has been shoved up in a ponytail. As a rule, I don't wear makeup. The holes where I used to have a second set of studs in my ears have closed over. (I should tell my friend about this - she was with me when I got them and she laughed at me for about an hour after the event...)

There's perfume and make up. This too has to be done. I've got a heap of red lipstick that is waiting to be used. 

All to go out to dinner. 

It just feels SO foreign. 

Thankfully, I've found a decent dress, one that hasn't been worn for two years. I've got my decent boots out of the wardrobe that aren't made by Doctor Martens or Harley Davidson. I'm hoping the black tights I've found still have the elastic to stay up and don't have holes in them. 

It's all stuff which was so normal before the pandemic.

Maybe this marks the return of normality?

Today's song: 



No comments: