Friday, June 24, 2022

Gaia

Installation: Gaia

Where: St Paul's Cathedral, Flinders Street. Melbourne

When: Until 9 July - 10 a.m. - 4.30 Monday - Saturday

Free event. 

Today's lunchtime exploration took me to church - well the cathedral just down the road. Always up for a way to waste time this felt like a good thing to do. It looked amazing - something to see - and bonus, it's a free event. Never mind that I always worry that if I step into a church it might fall down around me. 

So I went to this installation of a seven metre in diameter photographic model if the earth suspended from the rafters of a local cathedral, which goes round on its axis every four minutes. The model was created by artist Luke Jerram using NASA maps.

And it's breathtaking. 


Walking into the cathedral I was told by the guy at the desk that the afternoon service was starting in about ten minutes and that taking photos during this time was frowned upon. I smiled and told him I wouldn't be long. 

I was wrong. 


This installation is magnificent. There, in the quiet cathedral, sits the world, turning on its axis, silently going about its own business. It's mesmerising. 

As I strolled around the nave, I took in this orb in all its glory, just watching it as it slowly turned. 

It's a deeply relaxing, deeply meditative installation, just like the cathedral, which is just wonderful to mooch about. 


Of course, I got chatting to one of the vergers, something I do in cathedrals, as they can normally point out all sorts of interesting things. And of course, this took me into the time of the church service. Being brought up better than to storm out of mass, I continued to have a quiet chat with the verger about life, the universe and everything while the cleric out the front said his blessings. It was a lovely chat. Once the priest called for the congregation to come up for blessings, I made my way to the door, thanking the verger before heading out into the city to do a couple of jobs before going back to work. 

As this is a free event (though you're encouraged to leave a donation on the way out) this is well worth your time, even if it is up look up and ponder our insignificance when it comes down to everything. 

I'll be going back for another look before it ends. It's just wonderful. 

Today's song: 




No comments: