Monday, February 27, 2023

Take Five Books

 The March Gunnas Writer's retreat is happening this weekend, to which I'm going with mixed emotions. Going to the retreats is making me happy. It's a brilliant weekend. My reticence is more in that I've not done any of my own writing for what feels like eons, and I want to get back into it. Hopefully, the retreat will bring this joy of writing back. 

I'm looking forward to one aspect of the retreat, that being the swap rack. What we are doing is bringing along clothes and shoes which are in good condition and placing them on the rack. Things change hands among the 40 odd women going. I came home with a very nice Gorman scarf, a pair of sparkling pink rubber boots and a few other things. 

These items are moved on to other people at a nominal cost. You pay what you want - but the money, at the end of the day, is going to a Domestic Violence Charity. Last retreat we sent on over $1000. 

I'm taking along for trading five pairs of winter boots, all of which I haven't worn in years, most of which have heels which are beyond me now, none of which I will ever wear again, as well as a few pieces of clothing which haven't sold on Facebook, all in great nick, and hopefully will be moved on for a few dollars for the charity. 

This time, we're having a book drive. Nobody may bring more than five books along - again, so these can be moved on at a cost of a $5 donation to the domestic violence charity. 

My problem is what books to donate. 

I've been trying to make a bit of space of late and I've been leaving books at the street library near the gym of late. Things that I've read but not overly enjoyed or have no emotional connection with. 

Now, I'm looking at what five books I'll be taking to Gunnas for moving on. 

I've got the following in the pile.

Michelle de Kretser's Life to Come. It's a good book, but one of the characters drove me up the wall. 

Sofie Laguna's The Choke. Another great book, but so, so, so sad. Laguna does this sadness well, but I'm not sure I want this hanging around the house. 

Ruth Ozeki's My Year of Meat is on the pile, but it might be put back in the bookshelf. I remember it being there for around 20 years, when it hit home. It's old, but good. 

Then there's Jeanine Cummins American Dirt. A contentious book, but a page turner. I had my misgivings about it, hence away it goes. 

And lastly, there's Ella Baxter's New Animal. We've got lots of diverse people going to this - a book about S&M in Tasmania might be a welcome addition to somebody's library. 

That I've started to pack for a weekend away on the Tuesday - it's a bit sad. But I like the process. 

Today's song: 

No comments: